Damaged beak

gooselover

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 10, 2010
Hi everyone

First of all, I want to apologize for posting about my pet goose but I was unable to locate any sites on the Internet dealing with geese or waterfowl. I hope you folks will understand and be able to help me.

About 4-5 days ago I noticed slight bleeding along the edge of my pet goose's beak (where the upper and lower bill meet). Upon further examination I could see that about a 1/4 inch row of "teeth" (lamillae) on the lower, left portion of the beak (toward the front) had separated along with a very small portion of the base. While it wasn't a massive injury, this detached portion was deviated toward the inside of the mouth and so I carefully moved it back into position and seated it in the hope that it would eventually heal back into place again.

For a number of days, I carefully watched for signs of healing, infection, pain, lack of interest in food, etc and saw none. My goose acted normally (although birds are quite good at hiding pain/injuries). Yesterday I once again looked at the damaged area and noticed that while the section of damaged lamillae was still seated in it's proper position, it had turned white and had shrunken somewhat - indicating that there was no blood flow to the area. The shrinkage also revealed the area of separation which was a slight pink in color (as any wound would be).

Having said all of this, I have never dealt with a beak injury before and live in a remote area where livestock vets are scarce and bird vets are non-existant so most of the help, advice, supplies, etc come from our local feed store. The other day I purchased a bag of Oxytetracycline. You are supposed to add a teaspoon per gallon of water and provide this to your bird(s) throughout the day. I have not administed any of this to my goose yet and am wonder if I should just continue to monitor it for signs of infection or if I should start it on the antibiotic right away. I'm also concerned about any risks involved in giving this to my goose and weather the damaged area will eventually grow back ("teeth" and all) and how long that might take.

I love my goose dearly. We have been through a lot together and I want to do what is best for it. Any advice or information I can get would be greatly appreciated as I would feel terrible if anything ever happened to it. Thanks so much in advance and I look forward to hearing from anyone here who can help with this.

Kind regards, GooseLover

First off
welcome-byc.gif

Glad to have you here.

Second I can't help your problem but maybe someone else will!

Some times it takes a while to get an answer back

I don't know much about geese but can tell you about my 1yr old BR hen that got a fright and flew up and hit the wire on the way down. Her beak was broken off about 1/2 " from the front (top portion) and the broken portion was still hanging there. Well it bleed a bit and she wiped the beak and the broken section came off.

I gave her a deeper dish to eat from and mixed her crumbles with water so they sort of clumped together making it easier for her to eat. I also increase her protein by putting them on gamebird food 24% protein.

Well she is doing very well and 1/4" of her beak has already grown back. It is still blunt or squared off on the top beak but I am hoping when the rest grows back it will take on its normal pointed shape.

Hope yours heals as well.

Good luck!

Thank you all so much!. That is wonderful and encouraging news about your hen surviving her beak damage and especially the fact that it grew back some. How long did it take to grow back and did you put her on any antibiotics or did it heal on it's own?.

- gooselover

Back
Top Bottom