1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Damaged egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LillyBantam, Apr 5, 2012.

1. LillyBantam

LillyBantam Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    Alkham, Dover, Kent. UK
    I have just been up to check on my broody (has been sitting on 3 duck eggs for 4 days), one has fallen out of the nest box and is chipped on the air sac end and is cooler than the others where it has not been under her. no sure for how long. She was ok 4 hours ago. Shall I discard now? Or shall I give it a few days to see if it develops with the others?

I am utterly gutted, this is my first hatch. [​IMG] I only had 3 eggs as it was.

Wendy

2. LillyBantam

Jul 7, 2011
    Alkham, Dover, Kent. UK
    I have just been reading that you can repair with wax or nail varnish. as its not a crack but a chip is it worth me dipping it in some wax to fill the hole?

3. I do not know much about these, but i will give my opinion, if an expert comes around, listen to him[​IMG]- Might use some wax and cover the hole, and then hatch day, pull off the wax so it can hatch easier. If it is only day 4, then getting cool might not matter, so just put it right under her, and see how it goes. :)

4. LillyBantam

Jul 7, 2011
    Alkham, Dover, Kent. UK
    Ok, thanks. I have popped it straight back under to get back up to heat, i remeber someone saying that the first few days were the most important. But I figure I should give him/her a chance to develope. When I bring it in later for candeling i'll dip it then, got to be worth a try at least.

5. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

You could try a piece of tape maybe, to cover the hole. Hope it makes it. [​IMG]

6. LillyBantam

Jul 7, 2011
    Alkham, Dover, Kent. UK
    I dipped the egg in wax, so far so good. I candled them again yesterday and I would even say that the damaged one is a little more developed. Eitherway, all 3 have veins. Will keep an eye on them, broody seems quite happy for me to see to her and the eggs. I have moved her to a separate brooder now during the night and she is happy to be away from the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by