Damaged sickle feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RedRiverChick, Nov 30, 2011.

1. RedRiverChick

RedRiverChick New Egg

Nov 23, 2011
    A couple of my roosters singed half of their sickle tail feathers on a heat lamp that was to low. How long does regrowth of new feathers take? Is there a way to speed up regrowth? Should i just pluck damaged tail feathers to speed regrowth [​IMG] I was planning on showing them in March 2012

2. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Rogue Valley, S. Oregon
    There is nothing to do but wait for a moult. My roosters are always breaking eachother's tail feathers off, and sadly it takes a lot of time to grow back.
    I don't think it would be at all kind to pluck their feathers (those thing are deeply attached and it would hurt a LOT to have them yanked out!) and I do not even think it would make them grow faster.

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    You can pull them out and they should regrow in 6-8 weeks.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I had similar problem caused by dog attack about 1 month ago. Some feathers were pulled completely out by dog while a few broken feathers I pulled myself. Feathers where base was pulled from skin are already being replaced and those with shafts remaining will not be replaced until next fall.

I am not certain similar replacement would occur of damage done later in winter or spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by