Damaged sickle feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RedRiverChick, Nov 30, 2011.

1. RedRiverChick

RedRiverChick New Egg

Nov 23, 2011
    A couple of my roosters singed half of their sickle tail feathers on a heat lamp that was to low. How long does regrowth of new feathers take? Is there a way to speed up regrowth? Should i just pluck damaged tail feathers to speed regrowth [​IMG] I was planning on showing them in March 2012

2. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

There is nothing to do but wait for a moult. My roosters are always breaking eachother's tail feathers off, and sadly it takes a lot of time to grow back.
    I don't think it would be at all kind to pluck their feathers (those thing are deeply attached and it would hurt a LOT to have them yanked out!) and I do not even think it would make them grow faster.

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    You can pull them out and they should regrow in 6-8 weeks.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I had similar problem caused by dog attack about 1 month ago. Some feathers were pulled completely out by dog while a few broken feathers I pulled myself. Feathers where base was pulled from skin are already being replaced and those with shafts remaining will not be replaced until next fall.

I am not certain similar replacement would occur of damage done later in winter or spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by