Damaged wings

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Intrigue, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Intrigue

Intrigue New Egg

Sep 23, 2012
    Hello all,

I am new to chicken ownership and am already getting into the process of chicken nursing!

My chickens are now 10/11 weeks old (I have four light sussex and four RIR's).

Last week one of the RIR's got a fright and ran into the embers of what was recently a burning fire. I soaked its foot in cold water for about 1/2 hour and fortunately had no further problems (I guess they have tough feet).

This week one of my sussex hens must have misinterpretted the amount of overnight weight gain and when departing the roost must have had a bit of a crash landing (or at least thats what I am guessing happened). When I went to see them with their morning greens this particular hen did not come out, she was hiding. when I got her out I noted blood coming from her wing (I have a drawing so I think I can say the carpal joint area). When cleaning her up I realise that the whole area on the leading/underside of both wings are beaten up (quite a few small wounds, and a few blood haematomas). I would not be surprised if the tips of each wing are broken. (phalanges and metacarpals are they are rather black and swollen).

I write this and the following on what I have done just to be sure I am doing the right thing. Since I found her she has been very very quite, normally she would run away but she just sits and when she tries to walk she is rather shaky (shock I guess?). Anyhow I cleaned her up with peroxide and added some betadine. I gave her clean food and water and put her in a cage within the coup. During the day I remembered the 'purple spray for horses' I also remembered my mother had some avian antibiotics. so when I went home I added purple spray to the wounds and anitbiotics to the water. I also watered her 'raising mix' so make a slop. I have never given before but read they like a bit of spagetti (prolly not good to change food now but I wanted to get something in her so she got a few pieces of this which she ate, she also had a drink). Back in the cage. This morning she seemed a little stronger but still a bit unsteady on her feet. I recalled another product I have at home and an post on here that encouraged me to apply this today. It is a antibiotic powder (zinc and sulphur based, great for the dogs) and some greens to chew on through the day. I dont see how I could or any real benefit in any form of casting so I presume keeping her in her cage and quiet is the best thing I can do...?

Anyone got any other pointers for me? (I take her out of the cage twice a day for a little exercise).

Any idea how long I should isolate her (she can see others and they can climb on her cage etc). How long the heal process will take? The likely hood of her not making it from here?

Thanks (great forum)

2. Intrigue

Intrigue New Egg

Sep 23, 2012
    Hello all, further to the above. I lost my hen yesterday :(

I guess my question now is WHY? I had backed off all treatment a couple of weeks ago. She had been somewhat back to normal only differences was that she was not roosting with the others rather spending the night in the temp cage I put in (door open) when let out each afternoon she was a bit slower moving around than the others but otherwise seemed okay. She was eating and drinking okay to my knowledge...

I am thinking most likely an infection from the wounds (wounds were clean so I thinking blood or bone infection). but wanted to check in here incase anyone thinks that perhaps a virus is present? what would or could I do to protect the others?

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by