Damn Those Mosquitoes!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by scarletbaby, Nov 6, 2010.

1. scarletbaby

scarletbaby Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    My rooster has been having scabs on his comb for some time now. Ive checked him for mites during the day but decided to check at night for those pesky critters. I go outside with a flash light in hand to check on them and lock them up when i come across a huge swarm of mosquitoes in the coop!! I got totally freaked out so i decide to kill as many as i could and the first one i squished left a bright red line of blood. I've been closing them up pretty late (around 12 in the morning) and ive never taken a flashlight until now, no wonder i never noticed them. Could these little pest be the cause of the scabs on my little roo? Are there any health risks that could be a problem? Should i be out there right now smushing every last one of them?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Mosquitoes do carry disease, and yes it's possible they are causing the scabs but I doubt it unless they are swarming his comb.

Where do you live? I had a mosquito bite my leg this afternoon when I was out watching chicken TV. Hopefully it will get cold enough soon that we won't have to worry about them anymore.

3. scarletbaby

scarletbaby Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    i live in So Cal. Yeah i didn't notice them until today. It's been pretty hot these past few days so i should have expected as much. I havent been able to stop swatting my arms and legs since going out there. Feels like they are all over me *shudders*.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    The blessings of living in a warm climate...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by