Damp air = liquid poop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SoManyHats, Oct 12, 2013.

1. SoManyHats

SoManyHats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    Hi all! I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with my new chickens. Liquid poop and lethargy. Three are very underweight. The seller says they were fine at her house. When I got home 45 min after picking them up, they were pooping like that. Her explanation is that the damp air from the ride home made them sick. They were in a wire dog crate, which was covered on three sides with a tarp, blocking the wind and rain, but allowing ventilation. Could that really have done it?

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd see if they will take them back. They didn't get underweight in 45 minutes. If they won't, I'd look very closely at how the seller's chickens look and sound, and their living conditions.

I hope if you have other chickens that you quarantined them, a good distance from yours. there are a number of possible causes. They may simply not be getting enough to eat. If you keep them, I would watch closely for signs of respiratory illness. Also check closely for lice and mites, and consider worming. Valbazen is relatively safe for them even if they are very wormy, and gets all worms.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/12751/urgent-reminder-please-quarantine-newly-acquired-birds/0_20

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ll-seeing-live-worms-in-poo/0_20#post_9315842

3. SoManyHats

SoManyHats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Winchester, VA
    Thankfully, I did quarantine them about 150 feet away. The seller is denying any wrong doing, and will not take them back. Now I have to decide if it's worth the work to make them healthy. Hubby says yes, but I'm the one who will be doing all of it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by