Damp shavings

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Schroeder, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    I bought a bale of pine shavings from TSC. I got one under an overhang thinking that way it would not be wet. Even though there were no visable tears in the plastic, the shavings are very damp.

By the time I figured this out I already had the 1 week old chicks in temporary quarters and the brooder cleaned out. I used a hair dryer on the shavings for awhile, buy they still were damp. I put paper towels over part of the shavings so they at least would have a dry place to sleep. Should I be concerned?

2. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    I beleive I would remove the damp shavings and just put the chicks on paper towels until I could get some dry shavings. I wouldn't want to take any chances.

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I agree I wouldn't put any kind of baby to bed on damp bedding.

4. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    i agree get the damp shavings out, they may devolop respitory problems, or chill and die

5. Bwaaak!

Bwaaak! Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    I had the exact same thing happen to me with my 3 day old chicks. Damp shavings can grow mold. Thats what mine did. I returned it, they were nice about exchanging it but I was still upset that I could have killed all my chicks.

6. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    ya i was thinking mold just didnt type it

7. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    I suggest you remove the shavings too or put some dry paper towels over them. I heard from somewhere that if the bedding is wet, it will grow a type of mould that is fatal to chicks and they will literally drop dead.

Good luck! I hope they will be fine [​IMG]

8. Schroeder

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    Okay, I went back to the paper towels until I can get dry shavings. Is it safe to spread out the damp shavings on newspapers and stir them occassionally until they dry, or should I toss them and start over?

9. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    Get a bag of Pine Pellet horse bedding at TSC. Forget the shavings. These are always dry.

10. Schroeder

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    I saw the pine pellets the last time I was at TSC. I think a small bag was $6.50 which seemed high. It would cost a bundle to cover a horse stall. How thick a layer is needed in the brooder?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by