Damsel in distress

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Buckbuckbeck, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Buckbuckbeck

Buckbuckbeck Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2015
    Hello, this is my first time raising ducks. I had 4 Khaki Campbells. I had 2 males and 2 females. Recently, we believe our males battled and one lost his life. In the process, one of our females got pretty beat up. She has scratches on her head and neck along with possibly loosing one of her eyes. It's been about a week. She started drinking about 2 days after the incident. I have not witnessed her eating yet. We have the male in a cage by the females but we are afraid to allow him to come in contact with the females, especially the injured one. Is there anything we can do for this poor battered female? Antibiotics or care to prevent infection?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    A good duck vet would be best.

She needs to be cleaned up, and treated. Mild saline solution rinses for the eye and injuries would be a good start. If it's been a week without eating, you may need to tube feed her. @casportpony is a very helpful person especially with that.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @Buckbuckbeck , welcome to BYC! How is your duck?

-Kathy

4. Buckbuckbeck

Buckbuckbeck Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2015
    Hello,
    I finally saw her pecking at food. She was looking for mealworms this morning. Tonight i hope to catch her and clean her up and see what is going on. I have been searching for a duck vet around me and no luck. I hope a saline cleaning will help.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by