Dan & Marilyn Quail...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Lilranchgirl, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Lilranchgirl

Lilranchgirl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2013
    Hi there!

On October 8th, I became the proud new mama of 2 coutrnix quail chicks that hatched from 5 eggs in my incubator. I got them from a local livestock auction that just throws the eggs away and brought them home as an experiment. They hatched!

They're about 10 weeks old now and I named them as a joke Dan and Marilyn...Quail. LOL! Their names may not be appropriate though since I am not sure if either is male or female! Attached is a couple of pictures. I'm sorry they're not the greatest quality. I am hoping someone can tell me if they are male or female, as well as what their color patterns are called.

Thanks for any info you have!
    ~Lil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Reedgirl20

Reedgirl20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2012
    Eagle point, Oregon
    The second quail is a brown male. The first one appears to be Rosetta possibly, can't tell sex from picture. Looks like some nice tame quail.

3. Lilranchgirl

Dec 21, 2013
    Awesome! Thanks so much!

4. Lilranchgirl

Dec 21, 2013
    So, one more quick question about Dan and Marilyn Quail. They are going on 11 weeks now, and I know we are in the dead of winter. If Marilyn is a girl, when should she start laying eggs? The only artificial light they have is their red heat lamp. I'm no good at vent sexing and from what I've been told, Rosettas cannot be feather sexed. She is much more calm than Dan and when I hold Marilyn, she sings a tiny little song under her breath. I assume she at this point... any thoughts?

:)
    ~Lil

5. bigrob83

bigrob83 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2013
    Texas
    I just dont see anything there that screams male
    lots of my lighter colored quail go either way without markings really being a indicator

probably wont be getting eggs out of them until spring its pretty late in the season but our girls still lay a occasional suprise egg on a warmer winter day lol
    if its staying cold sexing your male will be pretty difficult
    flip them over and give them a thumb squeeze... he might suprise you

I dont know why but it does seem like some of the more social "vocal" birds we have are female

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  6. Reedgirl20

Aug 5, 2012
    Eagle point, Oregon
    I still say male on the brown, an awful lot of rust chest feathers and not much in the way of black spots. I could certainly be wrong but he would go in a bachelor pen unless he laid an egg at my place, lol.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  7. Lilranchgirl

Dec 21, 2013
    Yeah. The brown has no black spots. Gotta be a boy then? The Rosetta sings A LOT, especially compared to him. Maybe a breeding pair? LOL!

8. Lilranchgirl

Dec 21, 2013
    HA! I heard one of them make a heck of a sound that I believe was crowing. I think it was the brown. HEHEHE!!! This is fun!!!

9. Reedgirl20

Aug 5, 2012
    Eagle point, Oregon
    Ya, it is fun. The first time I heard one crow I will admit I thought someone was strangling a frog or something, lol.

10. Lilranchgirl

Dec 21, 2013
    Reedgirl20!!! You nailed it!!! It does sound like a frog being strangled! LOL!!!!!!! XD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by