1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dan & Vicki in Canby OR, New "Chickeneers"

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CanbyDan, Jan 1, 2015.

1. CanbyDan

CanbyDan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2015
    Canby OR
    Greetings to all,

Vicki and I are avid gardeners and our recently purchased home in the country is perfect for raising chickens. We are completely new to having our own flock but have been reading and talking with others with chickens, we're confident we can do it without too many problems. We just brought home a small coop and run from free section of our local craigslist, has six small nesting boxes and needs a weekend worth of cleaning, repairs and disinfecting before we buy our first birds.

Our main interest is eggs and secondly entertainment! We love watching neighbors flock of Bantys and their chicks scratch all our our yard and 7500 sqft vegetable garden. Meat production is not high on our list, we'll continue to let our local grocer to take care of the drum sticks and hot wings.

Looking forward to reading the forums and learning all we can but I'm sure we will have to ask for help once in a while.

Dan

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Happy New Year and Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you joined the flock! Good luck on your new chicken joirney I'm sure they will bring you many hours of happiness. This section of the learning centre has some great articles on getting started with chickens I'm sure you will find it very usefull. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/getting-started-raising-chickens

Hope you enjoy BYC and be sure to ask any question you may have, everyone here to help you along the way :frow

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you joined us.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Definitely stop by our learning center as well for lots of great articles on all the aspects of keeping chickens...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

6. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

7. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Hi, and welcome to BYC! You are checking in from some beautiful country (spent a few years there myself and still have family in the area). Would love to see some pictures of your great find - I am sure it will be home to some very well loved birds who provide you with hours of entertainment. I did notice you mentioned that the neighbors flock frequents your yard and garden, that is something to consider once you start your own flock as mixing the two is not the best idea.

9. CanbyDan

CanbyDan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2015
    Canby OR
    Good Morning Ol Grey,

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of the only "useable" coop of the three we picked up off craigslist. Other two were really Rabbit hutches (the "poo" gave it away), the property owner was cleaning up what renters left behind. Today, I'm returning to disassemble an aviary that measures about 10x10', built of nice pressure treated 4x4's, assorted 2x's and 6' tall chicken wire. These materials will be for our permanent coop that I'm drawing up now in my head. I'm sort of a prankster and some would refer to me as a jack@$$, I'm envisioning a walk in coop that measures about 8x8' and is modeled to look like a KFC. Even have an idea to have a solar powered, rotating "bucket" that used to be at the older KFC restaurants. I'm a maintenance mechanic by trade a self taught wooden boat builder and pack-rat, the coop build should be no problem for me.

The more I look at the freebie, the more I think it's better suited for the burn pile. By the time I make all needed repairs and cleaning, I could have just built one that better suits our needs.

The neighbors flock seems healthy and owner is good about taking care of them though some have moved out of his coop and made their own hidden nests that are only noticed when momma is strutting through the field with a handful of chicks in tow. Question, what should my concerns be of the flocks integrating with each other?

Thanks all for the warm welcome,
    Dan

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by