Danaus was Right

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by nonseq, Aug 18, 2010.

1. nonseq

nonseq Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Central Ohio
    I went to the Safety Committee meeting tonight. Someone I never saw before got up and said that allowing chickens would decrease property values and if chickens were allowed then people would want horses, too. I got up there after her with my presentation which I wasn't allowed to give and I refuted everything she said with supporting documentation. I also produced a signed petition and five letters of support. No one looked at those. None of the Council Members would look at me as they voted NO.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  2. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Time to move. Sell your property to some yahoos with 18 kids, a passel of broken down cars and a loud stereo.

Rufus

Oh, and I forgot, some loud motorcycles.

3. Danaus29

Danaus29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    I am so sorry. Some people are jerks and unreasonable. It doesn't make any sense that someone can have half a dozen dogs but not one chicken. I had hoped I would be wrong and you would be allowed to have chickens.

I was going to sell my property to a bunch of illegal immigrants or someone who would use the natural backstop for continual target practice but the people behind my property did not sign the petition against my variance. I can't be that mean to them.

4. Agnella

Agnella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    So sorry to hear this.

Sounds like someone needs their house egged....

5. nonseq

nonseq Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Central Ohio
    I couldn't get a sitter so I brought my kids. My DD asked, "Do we get to keep our chickens now?" I said, "No." They all started crying. Wailing loudly. So the Building Director shut the door as we left.

They didn't even LISTEN to me. They had their minds made up before we even got there. WTH? Give me a couple a days.....It'll take me that long to start a campaign against them.

6. wisdombabies

wisdombabies New Egg

Aug 18, 2010
    Quote:What is wrong with selling your property to "a bunch of Mexicans"??

7. Danaus29

Danaus29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Sorry, changed it. We've had local problems with illegal immigrants from a certain country. You would have to live in this area to realize how bad the problem is and how dangerous the situation is becoming.

Ohio is becoming very ag unfriendly. By all rights and according to state law I should have at least been allowed my shed and greenhouse. The planning department recommended denial of those! There are counties where the powers that be really don't care if you have agriculture. Some counties have no local jobs but do have cheap land. Others have local jobs but land is very expensive. We're looking in those counties with local jobs. In 5 years we hope to have one house loan paid off and 3 livable houses, 1 hopefully rented. It's going to take time and I know I will never be able to get my original girls back because they will be too old. Hopefully I can get hold of some of their offspring and rebuild my flock.

I will never again buy a property in Ohio consisting of 5 acres or less. The next place I buy will have to be more than 5 acres.

8. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:You want to try for a lot big enough to trap and hunt without a license if Ohio has such rules.

Then if you could find a lot that was large enough to subdivide later on and still have a large lot for yourself you might have a decent source of retirement income (provided guvment doesn't get any more screwed up than it already is).

9. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    Hey easy on the loud motorcycles Rufus.....[​IMG]

10. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Well noseq what did you really expect?

Now someone riddle me something, why would a safety committee be swayed by theoretical property values?

In fact, I can make a case that even if the values go down it has no impact on the income the local jurisdiction will take in taxes.

I hope you have the names of those who spoke and voted no.

Start first by approaching each of the no votes and ask why they voted as they did, you are looking for two things by doing this:

1. A possible means to get this person to change their mind and since most places allow a no voter to ask for reconsideration of a defeated item, you just might get your chance to really speak.

2. To find out each no voter's actual reason for voting no, if the reason is not related to safety concerns they were outside their assigned mandate, this should provide you with some legal leverage later on.

Oh and from the reaction of your children I believe you now know why I harp on getting everything taken care of before getting the birds. Over the years I've seen a lot dashed feelings that could have been avoided.

If you wish to mount a full campaign you need to think in terms of stacking the deck, that means getting like minded people elected to the council (whatever the controlling elected board is called) to have a majority on the council.

It also means actively campaigning against any council member who voted no (the best way to do that is get someone from your side of things to run against them and to take the high road in doing so).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by