Dancing Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sylverfly, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    Should I do anything if I have a rooster crowing and dancing for me, it means he thinks I’m a hen right…is it ok for him to think I’m a hen or do I need to be the rooster in the coop. He’s the sweetest little roo and I want to keep him, I don’t want him attacking me or other people in the future (he’s never made a single aggressive motion towards anyone). Also he’s a game bantam, modern I think. Any advise or personal experiences are welcome.

2. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    It's usually not the best thing if he circles you and 'dances' for you, because it means he's the boss over you (or at least thinks he is). It depends on what he's like, but usually a rooster who does that will jump at you at some point. I recommend that whenever he circles you, pick him up and 'make a fool out of him'. Pet him, flap his wattles.....just don't hurt him: hurting makes them mean (although I doubt you'd hurt him anyways).
    Picking him up when he's doing that, or not doing that, and not being scared of him asserts your dominance over him.

I wrote a really long thread about rooster behavior, personal experience, and how to deal with them here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=390911 I write alot more on the subject, but all you really need to know is that he may not attack you, but if he thinks he's the boss of everyone, he may start attacking other people in the future. It does depend on his disposition: he may or may not, but most roosters do at some point, especially if they're unstable. Banties seem to be more spazzy and prone to attack without reason than bigger roosters too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by