Dandelion Flowersi

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PoultryGirly, Apr 7, 2012.

1. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Is it okay for chickens and ducks to eat dandelion flowers? The yellow part? What are some plants and veggies and fruits that they can't eat?

2. americanvalkyrie

americanvalkyrie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    Reno, NV
    Dandelions are great for them. Today I pulled a huge one from my garden and threw it to them. They were thrilled. (BTW, dandelion greens are great for you, too.)

Awhile back, I posted a question titled, "What? Chickens can't eat clover?" in response to a magazine article I read. The responses I got are very enlightening about what a chicken just will not eat if it's poisonous. They're simpler animals, but have more common sense than a lot of mammals I know. If you click on my profile, you can find the thread.

As far as vegetables from your kitchen, I know they cannot have avocados or raw potatoes. Cooked potatoes are fine. Also, certain foods like scratch grains are tasty for chickens, but have no nutritional value. It won't hurt them, but like candy for kids, they won't get the nutrition they need for stuff like growing or producing eggs.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  3. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Thanks for the info.

4. KimKimWilliamso

KimKimWilliamso Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Nanton, AB, Canada
    Yes, dandelion leaves have wonderful health benefits for chickens, people, parrots etc. Other things are kale and chard, excellent greens for birds. We also put cinnamon in with our mashes for our parrots (and will do for the chickens) as it has wonderful health benefits.

5. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Thanks

6. americanvalkyrie

americanvalkyrie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    Reno, NV
    I just happen to be growing kale just for my chickens. And chard for my family and my chickens. I have it in bucket planters, up high so the chickens don't help themselves before I want them to.

7. Mugs

Mugs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    Wisconsin
    This is good to know. I have some kale that actually made it through the winter here in Wisconsin due to a mild winter. I've harvested what I want and some is going to seed so I'll give it to the girls.

8. NorthernMama

NorthernMama Out Of The Brooder

Good to know :) We get plenty of them growing around here come summer time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by