Dandruff

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BillyRoper, Dec 14, 2016.

1. BillyRoper

BillyRoper Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2016
    Arkansas Ozarks
    If you raise chicks inside with a heat lamp, as we did, be prepared for a lot of gross dry skin chicken dandruff coating everything as they grow and make feathers. We found out the hard way. We had the cage in our bedroom. Yeah. Really romantic. Musical and aromatic, too.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Yep, they do make a lot of dust! It's not skin, it's feather casing flaking off the feathers, which is a little less gross, at least. I used to have a cockatiel - now THOSE are dusty birds. They have a powder that coats their feathers and that stuff is dusty. I have a quaker parrot who is molting so I feel your pain about feathers and feather dust everywhere. My chicks, thankfully, are in my workshop, so they aren't contributing.

3. BillyRoper

Dec 14, 2016
    Arkansas Ozarks
    Well, we learned that if we do it again, raise chicks from the box, we'll have them in another room, at least, lol.

4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I must agree with Pyxis. Dandruff is a skin condition while the fluffy flaky stuff chickens shed is dead pen feather sheaf that is a by product of growing feathers.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  5. BillyRoper

Dec 14, 2016
    Arkansas Ozarks
    Yes, well, whatever it was it made our room look like Tony Montana's office in the climactic scene of 'Scarface'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by