Dandruff?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cat Water, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    My blue silkie, Alf, is almost all feathered out. I fed them a hard boiled egg, and ever since that, I have been finding semi-transparent, white flakes all through his feathers. It might be on the others, but he is the darkest and I can see them the best on him. Is it dandruff? Mites or lice? Was it from the egg? It's just wierd picking it out.

2. RAWR

RAWR Songster

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    i have that too on my silks...i have no idea wat it is /:

3. PatS

PatS Songster

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    My chickens from this season and my young turkeys both have that. While they ARE feathered in, I think they are losing their baby feathers and growing their adult feathers. That stuff seems to me to be flakes of the hard, bottom part of the feather. Last year's chickens had it this time of year, too. Big white flakes all over the back deck, where they like to play.

Do you notice feathers in their coop and in their run? My whole backyard seems to be a big ol' feather dump! Feathers, feathers, everywhere! Out with the (relatively) old and in with the new.

4. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    Yeah there are some feathers in the run and they come out when I pet them. That's normal, right?

5. PatS

PatS Songster

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    I think the feathers coming out and the "dandruff" are normal for their age, yes.

6. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Songster

Apr 13, 2010
    The dandruff is actually the coverings that came off the new feathers coming in. I noticed this on my girls when they started getting their feathers. They are getting their big girl feathers now so I have a tractor full of feathers as well as dandruff flying everywhere! No worries--its natural. Freaked me out the first time I saw it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by