Dandruff???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Alleyoops25, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    I was out playing with my silkie babies and they are finally thnking about getting some feathers, (Adult fluff). But one of them is peeling dry skin stuff. It is very scaly all over the place. I dont see any mites, just lots of dry skin. I dont know if he hung out to close to the lamp for to long, or what? Is this a common problem with silkie babies, or what?

2. Alleyoops25

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    So I take it that the dry skin stuff is not common. Is their anybody out there who has delt with this before?

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    When birds grow new feathers, it's like they grow inside a tube. The birds have to preen these feathers, starting at the tip and working towards the base. They peel the outside off, as little white bits, to release the feather inside. Could this be what you are seeing? It does look like dandruff.

4. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    That is what it is - not to worry.

5. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    In the off chance that it is not shed feather shafts (which I think it is, and I think you shouldn't worry...), it might be that your chicks are not getting enough fat in their diet, which can lead to dry skin in many animals. Adding a tiny bit of healthy oil (like olive oil, or canola) to the feed that they will eat that day might help. Do not ever let food with oil on it sit for more than one day- the oil can go bad and make birds sick.

But honestly, I really doubt that is necessary. Some chicks are more aggressive skin-preeners than other, and your dandruffy chick might just have low personal hygiene standards. I have one hen that honestly spends every waking hour preening herself, and has since she was a little thing. She is the fluffiest, most awesome looking bird that we have. She never had a speck of white feather shaft sheds on her from day one. The rest all looked like head n' shoulders advertisements for about the first two months. And my spare bedroom carpet.. I don't even want to talk about the resulting vaccuuming I had to do.

-MTchick

6. Alleyoops25

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    No it is like huge flakes of skin coming off this bird. I found the problem though. In the brooder i am using the light bulb sits really low in it. And this little bird wants to get as close as possible to it. Non of the others want that close. I dont think that the temp is to cold because it just broke 90 here and they are in the garage. But I think he has decided it provides some kind of comfort to him. I can't sleep without a heating pad down by my feet and he cant sleep unless he is near the heat lamp. The only difference is my feet aint peeling all over. I am not to worried about him, other than I know he is extremely itchy all over. But I was curios if this was a problem with the breed or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by