Dang Bumblefoot!!!

jbohmann

In the Brooder
May 8, 2020
I hate to add another thread for bumble but hoping someone can look and give me another opinion.
My Pekin had bumble and fooled me that it was healed, but there must have been more.
4 weeks ago i noticed she had swelling in the same spot and I looked and the black scab was back with swelling.
Kept her inside in a kiddie pool, daily soaks, etc.... finally the hard area was soft enough and peeled the scab, a rather large plug came out after pushing hard.
I felt around and felt more "hardness", and then i got another smaller plug out. I was rather excited to be honest that i got it all.
At this point (2 weeks ago) the swelling felt VERY soft and nothing else was felt or came out with pushing - it felt like just flabby skin.
I cleaned and wrapped EVERYDAY and then I noticed the swelling wasn't going down, so i peeled the scab and a small plug came out and again it felt very soft.
So i clean and wrap, etc....
Yesterday I took her out by the other ducks because i am feeling bad she is in a kiddie pool alone.
Brought her in, gave her foot a cleaning. I used a little hydrogen peroxide this time, which i should have done AFTER pictures so sorry if they throw anyone off with the white.
Anyway, the scab looks like its turning black, she still has swelling but the swollen area feels soft and squishy.
So my question is: How long does it take for the swelling to eventually go down? I don't want to keep pushing and looking for more and cause more swelling and not allowing the area to heal.
Looking for what you think i should do next --- i am getting frustrated like it's a never ending battle and I feel bad for her being alone.
I could leave her outside and just do her daily soaks and checkups out there, but was trying to work hard getting rid of this.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 6
You can try using pool noodles, cut a little bigger than foot shape out of it (try to make it flat by trimming the round areas) and then put that at the bottom of the duck's feet after daily treatment with ointment and wrap with vet wrap to keep dirt getting in.

You should changing the wrapping daily and do the soaks, but this will keep the area under her feet cushioned (hard impact can make it come back). I find a week to two weeks of this works wonders.

If it reached the bone, you may need surgery for it to completely go away. I would also recommend a vet who can help and prescribe antibiotics as well.

Back
Top Bottom