Dang Chicken Addiction!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Doormantnt, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Doormantnt

Doormantnt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    I have an established 1 1/2 yr old mixed mini-flock (6 feed store chicks), a garage to brood, space for a temporary coop, and a coop/run combo that is large enough for about 5 more comfortable.

Now my question what are priorities in a homemade incubator...temp, humidity and the ability to maintain them....but what are the temps, and humidity levels????

I know the temps in the brooder, and how to "monitor" the chicks and let them so me if temp is good. But incubating is a new game for me...

I don't have a lot of "growing room" out inthe yard, so I wanted to see the next batch from start to finish. I can get my choice of Dominique or RIR eggs from close friends with good fertility rates, so eggs are kinda free.....will work for eggs...LOL...

Just looking for the basics, and figure I'll go the the EXPERTS...

Thanks in advance.

TNT

if bator doesn't work I can get day olds from either feed store, or from broody hens from same friend, so either way looks like new chicks by spring..LOL..

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Go to the sticky at the top of the Incubating and Hatching Eggs Forum. there are some REALLY awesome links and more info than you can shake a stick at.

3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    BTW- welcome to your new-new addiction: Hatching [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

~Mwaaahaaaahaaaaahaaaahaaaaaaaa!~

The very first hatchling that makes it out of the shell will sink the claws of this addiction so deep you will be scouring the boards for more, different eggs, as soon as the first fuzzes are dried off and fluffy!

Okay, maybe a day or two after that.....

It is just so awesome (in the original sense of the root word "awe") to see life created out of something you might very well have eaten for breffus 21 days earlier. Amazing.

And then to have them grow up in your flock. So cool!

5. Doormantnt

May 4, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    Thanks--I'll go check the sticky...I was kinda avoiding that section for bout 6 months now....

OH DANG...

Hi, I'm the Doormantnt, and I'm an addict.

TNT

6. Jacklynn

Jacklynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Haha. I can't wait to get an incubator and hatch my own eggies. [​IMG]

7. Jessiewoodard57

Jessiewoodard57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Bushnell, FL.
    Incubator then it begins.....better brush up on your chicken math. I am still trying to plan where to put the 50 new chicks. Yes I Am Addicted and oh is it fun.......

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  8. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    aloha - my name is may and i have a chickens addition...

i am gathering materials to build my incubator...soon as thats done and the eggs are in, building the brooder....then theres no stopping me!!! [​IMG] i have the fever!

and right now my game hen is trying to decide if she wants to sit on some egg!! [​IMG] she tried to steal all of todays eggs...i left some from yesterday to see if she would stay on them and NO she went up on the roost! [​IMG] when i tried to gather eggs this morning she was getting all puffed up and grumbling at me! so i thought yes, she is going to start sitting...then i went out a few hours later and she was cruising around...saw me come in(i counted her eggs) and she jumped back on them and started puffing up... i know its a little off subject but she is driving me crazy [​IMG] and i needed to vent!!

9. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    And so it begins.. the lure of the fluffy butt [​IMG]

There is no saving you now... I know this because I hatched my first eggs back on the 18th of December.. next ones hatched Christmas weekend.. YES.. I had a mixed hatch all in one incubator...

I now have 19 more eggs in.. and waiting on some shipped eggs..

Tis a vicious cycle.. but so much fun [​IMG]

Just give in and enjoy the ride. [​IMG]

Shelly

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  10. Doormantnt

May 4, 2009
    Glen Burnie, MD
    WOW...ya'll have me little afraid now..LOL...

I don't have alot of land to keep expanding.....and I dont want to become the crazy cat lady.LOL...

I can hear it now...."What happened to him?"......"I don't know he just kinda slipped in to the computer and the chicken coop....guess he had the fever?"...

Thanks yall.

TNT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by