Dang coyotes

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by schmoo, Jun 4, 2007.

1. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    Yesterday in broad daylight I see a coyote preparing to cross the corn field to come for a visit.
    It was about dinner time. For us, NOT him!!

Aren't those varmits supposed to be up only at night? Now I have to worry about my babies in the run during the day too? Or do you think it was a fluke? I've NEVER seen one during the day before. He probably smelled chicken........:mad:

2. FingerLakesChick

FingerLakesChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Western New York
    Sadly, I don't think they live by any day time/night time rules!! I've seen them in broad day light walking though the field in back of our house and my mom, who lives in a suburb of Rochester, NY saw one a couple weeks ago walk right down the street!!

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Coyote's are very resourceful. They are just like regular dogs in most of their behaviors. Day or night they are up and about, you just don't see them.

Coyotes like raccoon, possums, rats & cockroaches have learned to adapt to the encroachment by man. They can survive just about anything.

4. schmoo

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    Oh crap.........so I better be ready for those bastards. I have a chain link fence buried 10 inches will that keep them out when I'm at work??

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Should do a good job. Might want to think about elect. fence. They aren't hard to put up.

6. xrayman

xrayman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2007
    Central IA
    Quote:Don't know matters how hungry he is. They can dig a den pretty qwick. Don't have any around my acreage, couple buddies and I took care of that last winter. They're a challenge to hunt , they sure are smart and crafty ones.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  7. schmoo

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    I don't have electricity out there, only extension cords. I don't know anything about electric fences, I wouldn't imagine I could plug it in could I??

My husband could've shot it actually it was so close. But I told him no. I hope I don't regret it later [​IMG]

8. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    You don't have to plug them in... you can get them solar powered. Just google Solar electric fence.

9. schmoo

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    Thanks Patty. They are pretty pricey -yikes. But its good to know they have such a thing. [​IMG]

10. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    We have a regular visitor, she's out at least two hours before dusk and we catch her out in the morning as well....

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by