Dang Dog

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PineappleMama, Sep 14, 2010.

1. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, to make this clearer, instead of western, eastern, etc. I'ma use address numbers....
    East To West.... US-2606 Neighbor-2608 Their Other Side-2610

So, back in May our 2608's dogs broke through the Western fence. That fence belonged to 2610, so in addition to fees for reclaiming the dogs there was also a property damage report. At that time I talked to the Animal Control officer because they've been gnawing and smashing the Eastern (our side) fence as well. The officer told me that because the pickets were on their side it meant the fence was 2608's and so there was nothing I could do until their dogs actually broke through and entered my property. Made sense to me, no crime unless they actually get loose, not my fence so no question of property damage. Annoying that we have to wait until they break through, the very thing we're trying to avoid, but I get it.

So about two weeks back they broke through that fence. Again, they'd been gnawing and breaking off bits. We've been putting up wood, rocks, whatever we could find to stop them. They finally weakened it enough I guess to where they could just smash through. Managed to get our dogs in, the two doxies were outside at the time. They were marking all over the place of course, and then started circling my chicken pen. Not Cool. We're talking about a boxer, a pit, and a heeler... all way bigger than my chi/terrier mix and doxies... THEY haven't gotten into the pen, but these are much larger/stronger dogs. Immediately called animal control of course. Had to go through ages of autocrap to finally leave a freakin' message. Anywho, DH is worried about the birds so he tries to draw their attention back to the hole... didn't approach, anything like that, just stood near it you know? Well the boxer and heeler were in front but the pit circled around and tried to 'hamstring' (misnomer but you get the idea) him by biting his calf. He ran out the gate (the hole was right by the gate) and they dashed out too. Can't say I was all to unhappy about that. Called AC back and left another message saying that the pit had bitten DH and that they were now loose. Finally got a call back. They sent folks out. The heeler stayed close, but the other two took off. Scared the crap out of some walkers. One with a stroller called 911. Anywho, finally they caught them all. Supposedly the pit was put in quarantine, check for disease since it bit. The dogs belong to the girl living next door and she was moving on the 1st and taking her dogs with her... WHOO HOO. Awesome. Three guy friends/same work were going to take over the lease. No animals. What's not to love? They fixed the fence where they'd broken through. All was well. She moved out, no dogs.

Well, now they're back. Donno if it's all three, or not. But went outside to see what Mattie was yapping about. Expected to see the shadow across the pickets you know? Yeah, NOOOOO... instead I look up to see the pit's head over the TOP of the fence. About had a heart attack. Got ours inside and shakily wrote a note to the neighbors. Told them the pit (that's the biter remember) was trying to climb OVER the fence now that it can't break through... though I keep hearing this bashing noise like maybe it/they are trying to do that too. Those guys usually come home for lunch so hopefully they'll see that. I'm keeping ours inside, isn't that going to be fun, but better than my little ones going head to head with an aggressive pit bull. Donno if I'ma have the cojones to go get the eggs this afternoon or not... I am coward, hear me roar. Oh, did I mention that this is a 6' wooden privacy fence? Flat pickets. So no "hand holds" on their side (the "frame" for the fence/posts are on our side) so I have no idea how the devil it climbed up there... maybe it jumped.

What's weird... I get the gal going and getting her dogs... but why the heck did these guys now that she's gone? Three dogs mind. 1st impoundment is 35/55 (neutered/not) per animal, 2nd impoundment is 65/110 per animal... and according to one neighbor they've gotten out more than just the two times (May and Two Weeks Ago) that I know about... so, back in May she had to shell out $105-165 to get them back... but they were hers, I understand.... but this time? Why would those guys shell out 195-330 to get them back? And that's on top of maybe having to pay the extra charges for kennel for the 'dangerous' one... donno if biting once is enough for that label or not, but seems likely since special quarantine is required and all. I donno, maybe she's planning to come get them or something?

AC won't do anything until they come over, neighbors aren't home so I'm just sitting here boiling with upset and fear and it's making me ill so I figured I'd vent it out and see if that helps... my hands have stopped shaking so I think that's a plus.

Thanks for the place to vent.

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I hope it all works out without any damage to anyone in your household. You were so close to freedom from that hassle, too! Geez. With such close neighbors, I suppose a gun is out of the question where you live?

3. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Get yourself a gun and learn how to use it. Don't shoot unless you are up close and the only other thing to catch the bullet is the ground. If those dogs get into your backyard again, you shoot them. Period.

Baseball bat, golf club, pepper spray, better yet bear spray

I guarantee you that your backyard has become very attractive to them because of your variety of prey items. The pit should have been put down for biting a human unprovoked.

We have a wood fence on one side of our yard, and I nailed goat panels onto it to prevent any breakthroughs of the sort you are talking about. Looks like a nice trellis and I grow flowering vines on it.

4. PineappleMama

Guns are legal, when legally obtained of course. And you can shoot a dog for attacking your livestock supposedly... never researched that much since we don't have a gun.

But DH and I neither one are familiar with guns, didn't grow up with them. My Dad hunts and all, but I only spent 1-3 weeks in the summer up there and we never got around to any of that. My household down here... had a pellet gun once, that's all. DH's family did no hunting at all. His BIL does the deer thing but other than that nada.

So, if we did get a gun we'd both want courses, firing range practice, etc etc. I don't think anyone who doesn't know totally what they're doing, comfortable with the weapon, knows how to use it and take care of it, etc should have one. Right now we're not any of those things so I feel it'd be stupid, reckless even, to go out and get one.

Our safety, our kids safety, is more important than that. Just my opinion, based on my own self, not passing judgement or anything... but for our home that's how I feel.

Also, while I've heard plenty of shots in my day (mostly random in the air on holidays crap) I don't think that's kosher. Again I haven't researched the discharge laws for my city, but it IS a city so it makes sense that there'd be some strict rules about it. And I believe those are a good thing for everyone's safety so I'm not going to go bypassing them without good cause.

But yeah... I was SO relieved to be rid of them... heard barking over there and thought maybe they went and got Tank (that's the boxer) out... he seems like a nice one, very cute face, doesn't seem aggressive at all. I don't know for sure obviously, but he seems nice and he's gorgeous so I could see them deciding to keep him of his owner didn't want him... maybe even the heeler, though he's pretty skitzy/cranky IMO. But I did NOT expect the biter to be brought back... not at all. It was a major shock to see that face over the fence.

I consider myself fairly mature but I ran like a scared little girl and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Dernit... it's 11 now... hopefully they'll come home for lunch... I'm still hearing those THUDS that mean they're hitting the fence and it's just worrying me to bits.

[​IMG] that the fence holds, they can't climb over, and my neighbors decide keeping the biter at least is a bad idea...

5. FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    sheeesh, what a string of back luck you've had lately.[​IMG]

I took a vacation day to can tomatoes, but the pumpkins sucked me in and I have 2 cakes done and just put a batch of walnut pumpkin cookies in the oven.

the tomatoes are next this afternoon, have a good salsa recipe?

6. PineappleMama

Actually I do... from the Bell book. Made up a batch, did 6 half pints instead of 3 pints, and I think maybe there's 2 left so clearly a hit. DH likes it (he LOVES spicy) and the kids (who are Mild folks) love it too.

3c chopped, seeded, peeled, cored tomatoes
    3c chopped jalapeno peppers
    1c chopped onion
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    2T minced cilantro
    2t oregano
    1 1/2t salt
    1/2t cumin
    1c cider (though I used plain white) vinegar

Combine all, bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 mins. Ladle into hot jars, leaving 1/4" headspace. Do the caps, and process 15mins in boiling-water canner.

Lesson learned some years back, WEAR GLOVES, when dealing with peppers. That oil just soaks into your skin and you burn for DAYS. It was by far and away the most miserable experience of my life. Recovering from a C-section was less trouble!!

Anywho, that's the one I used, turned out great.... can sub seranos for some/all the jalas if you want hotter...

Still waiting on word... and hearing thumps... this was a good few minute distraction anyways. [​IMG]

7. FarmerJamie

Mar 21, 2010
    Thanks, I think I did that recipe two years ago. It's easy enough to pound out this afternoon. thx.

Are the dogs in question close enough to a garden hose where you can spray them?

8. PineappleMama

Yeah, I guess... and I might think that'd work with the boxer and heeler maybe... but the pit... think I'd be better off just getting in the house and calling in than taking the time to try and do that.

Uncle's dog was pit, sharpee and supposedly some mastiff and he LOVED water... course he loved just about everything, he was an AWESOME dog... Skeemer... by far one of the coolest dogs ever. But you aim a hose at him and he just went hog wild... didn't deter him in the least. Might a cat, or a particularly water shy dog I guess... but I don't think it'd be worth the risk of trying and having it not work.

Like I said... coward.

9. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Not coward - smart! Good luck and don't take chances. It doesn't make sense that you have to wait a second time for them to break thru or come over. Especially since he has already bitten DH. Seems a/c would come since kids are involved.

10. FarmerJamie

Mar 21, 2010
    Okay, be safe....let us know how this turns out.

Starting on the salsa now....l8er [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by