Dang Dogs

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chsfairy2007, Apr 26, 2009.

1. chsfairy2007

chsfairy2007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    TN
    Dogs… ugh! There are so many loose dogs in my area, that many of my neighbors and I have had a tough time. One has given up on chickens because of them. Another has already lost the dozen chickens she hatched from me. And, mine are no longer free-range because of them. It just makes me so mad that my neighbor, Ruth, who is over 80 years old, can hardly keep chickens. These ladies and I care more for our chickens than these dog owners care for their dogs. It's just not fair! I don’t want to wander the streets and shoot every dog (OK, I do), but I know I can’t! Are there any steps I can take with animal control at all? I'm fairly sure there is even a leash law. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, were you able to fix it?

Thanks,

Katie

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hi, Katie, I'm in Fannin County and we have a terrible dog problem here. I have run fencing around two of my five acres in addition to having pens with dig barriers. I may not drive all over the county shooting dogs, but if they penetrate the perimeter we've set up, they wont leave if we can help it. The law here is that a dog off the owner's property must be restrained. It's a joke, truthfully. Sorry about all your troubles. It's a widespread problem.

3. lone cedar farm

lone cedar farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    Menlo, Ga.
    I've lost far more chickens to wandering dogs than any thing wild, I love dogs but if found on my farm even remotely looking for trouble They die from lead poison were thy are found.....stupid people not bad dogs! [​IMG]

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    any animals coming into my property will do so at it's own risk... if they're lucky, they'll meet me first, if not, my 3 will welcome them.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  5. Rowtag

Rowtag Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    There isn't a dog around here that is kept fenced. Animal control used to make weekly runs, but could never catch them. Feral cats used to be really bad too, but they have mostly been taken care of by the dogs. In our area, animal control tries but it really isn't feasible to have people patrolling everyday for animals they won't/can't catch.

This is my first time with chickens and thankfully my collie has decided that these are her chickens. She sticks to them like glue and herds them around the yard. The local dogs don't mess with here very often, or at least not twice.

6. chsfairy2007

chsfairy2007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    TN
    Hello, speckledhen. I agree, the laws are a joke. Why is it that most people in the country feel that it’s all right to let their dogs roam? I mean, other people are trying to raise animals out here. The dogs just run around in gangs. I certainly do not blame you at all for taking care of them.

Yes, lone cedar farm, the blame is on the stupid people. I came home one day, when I was still in high school, and saw feathers all over my yard. So many of my hens were dead, and not even eaten. Many favorites were lost, and I had never been so mad. I followed the trail of feathers to the back end of my 8 acres and found the culprits. While giving my signature glare that scares children to the dogs, I knocked on the door, and an elderly lady opened it. I explained to her what happened and she replies, “Oh, yeah, I saw the feathers” (meaning yesterday, when they took one of our guineas). Then, later, she says, “I’ve had surgery, so I haven’t been feeding them.” I couldn’t believe my ears! It took all of my power not to start screaming.

This lady does not live by herself. Her sons and daughters live there and they visit often. Plus, she was well enough to stand at the door. She eventually offered to pay for my losses, but I did not want to make her. To her credit, it hasn’t happened since, but I think it’s because my hens are now safely penned up. If it does happen again, however, I’ll make sure she won’t have to worry about feeding another dog. I don’t think she’d even care. Honestly, in this situation, her dogs are stupid too. They are actually very violent and I’ve thought that more than one might even attack me.

I love dogs too, lone cedar farm, and would have thought badly about anyone shooting one five years ago. But owning livestock and being on the farmer side will surely change that, huh? Btw, lone cedar farm, you are very close to me! I live just minutes from you in Summerville!

Nzpouter, I wish my dog was as protective as yours are. She greets others that come on my property….

Rowtag, I’ve considered asking animal control to at least make a patrol to get a few of them, but it seems as if I’m dreaming, lol. Sounds like your collie is a great helper!

7. bantamfan

bantamfan Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2008
    Hi Katie;

I had the same problem, leash laws not enforced, so I used old coyote traps I had, and it took a month or two, but I cleaned up the problem by placing the traps around my coops and runs. Traps were anchored deeply in the ground on metal stakes. Lots of folks found their "pets" missing in action. shot em in my traps, then hauled em off out of town to dispose of the problems.

8. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    I am in the process of buying a LGD to take care of the stray dog problem, along with any other predator problems.

9. ChickenDogDuck

ChickenDogDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Or~e~gun
    It's no different out here on the left side of the island (Oregon). Dealing with the coyotes, bobcats, Great Horned Owls and various breeds of hawks with a hungry eye for my chickens & ducks is quite enough for me. Free running dogs are treated with the same respect as coyote and will share the same resting spot.
    I have two dogs and they leave the ranch 1 time annually, to visit the vet. Neighbors, the closest 1 mile away, think they can let their dogs run free, don't think the "dogs running at large" laws apply to them since they live out in the country. The same with license laws.
    I used to be nice and give fair warning. That didn't work.

Best of luck to you.

Bill

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  10. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    If the owners won't fix the problem and the animal control people won't fix the problem, shoot the dogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by