Dang foxes

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sawilliams, Feb 27, 2019.

1. sawilliams

sawilliams Songster

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    Ok, well im thinking foxes I'm not sure, I didn't see it. It was either early morning when I took the kids to school or afternoon when I picked the kids up. I came home this afternoon to a pile of feathers on the driveway that I hadn't noticed earlier, at first because of the location I figured hawk. I did a head count and only 1 was missing, the 1 matching the feathers i found. Ok no big deal, we live in the country my chickens free range its a fact of life. When my husband got home shortly after we went to inspect. We found 3 different piles of black feather presumably all from the same missing hen, but as we continued around the house we found 2 other sets of feathers my lavender roosters and one of the speckled Sussex. Upon observation we could see that both where missing tail and hind feathers but both seemed ok so we left them be too check this evening. So I walked into the coop after dark to do a second head count and check the 2 I knew had missing feather. What a sight. The speckle was rear to the door her bare bum fully exposed and *graphic detail her hind gouged and vent half detached.* unfortunately we are leaving on vacation Friday with my father in law watching the animals for the week so Im not about to put health care on his plate too. Anyways I got my husband to help me check the roost who was perched higher, and cull the hen. Fortunately the rooster only had a small bare patch of skin where he lost half his tail feathers. But sad to say we culled the hen because even if I could save her now with her injuries she would be to high of a risk for infections and complications. So 2 hens down thanks to a daring sneaky daytime fox. Probably wouldn't have happened if I left the dog out side but for a blood hound she's a big baby and hates the wind and the rain. She whines worse then the kids when the weather is bad.

Sorry just venting.

2. Butterscotchbitesfinger

Butterscotchbitesfinger Crossing the Road

Nov 2, 2018
    So sorry. I too have had foxes come during the day,is your coop secure as I’m sure it’ll be back. Good luck and sorry for your loss

3. sawilliams

sawilliams Songster

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    I
    Wouldn't say secure but then again or only loses in 2 and a half years have happened during the day when they are out or if the run doesn't get closed at night. But they free range. The foxes come through often enough but this is only our second attack

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Songster

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    I would either secure your coop asap or Trap and shoot the fox.I Had four ducks die last summer to a family a foxes.Happened during the day when they free range.They figure out when you're not there and then they kill.It will be back for more.Dont know if you have close neighbors but setting a Steel coil spring trap worked for me.

5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Once a Fox knows where a free meal is, they will be back till all are gone or secured and can't get them.

6. Cadence A Waller

Cadence A Waller Crowing

Feb 5, 2019
    Ohio
    I had a fox get two of my hens last year and I am sure that it would have gotten more but I stopped free ranging my chickens for a while and the fox moved on. I am sorry that you lost two of your hens... I hope that the rest of your flock stays safe.

chickens really likes this.
  7. want2know

want2know Chirping

Dec 25, 2018
    Texas
    Sooo, Sorry to hear about your loss, :hitI came on here to read about what to do, cause we lost our little dear Bantam Cochin Ruffles today to a fox,:hit She was out foraging with her flock and he/she came onto our property and snatched her. We have lost the other two bantam Cochins that we had raised along with her from chicks to a fox as well. The rooster, 8 months ago, and the other hen almost two years ago. The rooster was free ranging but she was in the coop. We secured the yard and coop after the first loss and he was unable to get in after that, and think that as "Cadence" said, he probably moved on to easier pickins, but then eight months ago the rooster. Well, Ruffles was our favorite, so I have had enough.:rant Before losing her I, like, "sawilliams" , figured we live in the country where there are foxes, and my chickens free range during the day, so live and let live. But, I am afraid it is time for fox wars.That said, has anyone used a poisoned store bought chicken to trap and kill a fox?

8. HenOnAJuneBug

HenOnAJuneBug Crowing

May 20, 2015
    I never let my chickens free range when I'm not here. When I leave, they get locked up. Leaving them unprotected is just asking for trouble.

9. want2know

want2know Chirping

Dec 25, 2018
    Texas
    My husband and I were both here, and we ran to see what was up but they are fast and clever. We have lost only the bantams to the fox, I believe because, they don't have the agility and speed of our other hens. Her two flock mates were way up in a large tree when we came running. She was not able to climb like they did,, with her short little legs and fluffy feet, but our other hens seem to evade him.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  10. HenOnAJuneBug

HenOnAJuneBug Crowing

May 20, 2015
    I have 4 roosters, so that might give me an advantage. They get very noisy when things aren't right, so I can respond quickly. Even my cats run for cover when they start making noise.

want2know likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: