Dang It, Olivia IS Broody!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by speckledhen, Aug 6, 2007.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, I thought she just might be the crabbiest little poofy-headed cutie pie on the planet, but it's looking like she's going full blown broody after what happened tonight. Olivia is one of three accidental crossbreeds I hatched from a friend's eggs. For those who don't know, she is the product of a standard Cochin/Silkie cross rooster and a Barred Rock mother. Those three are adorable and sweet and full of personality.
    Olivia had a personality change about three weeks ago. Every time I would approach her anywhere on the property, she would screech like a banshee, lower her head, drop her wings a little and puff up like a beachball. I swear, she looks like one of those fat Weebles plastic airplanes when she does it,LOL-you remember Weebles, dont you? "Weebles wobble, but they dont fall down!" was the commercial. Yes, she did it on the nest, too, but other hens dont like you to look at them on the nest so I wasnt sure if this was her going broody or not. She would also scream when other birds came up to her.
    Tonight when I went to lock them inside, Olivia was on a nest in spite of having already laid her egg today. I pulled her off all fluffed out and screeching, but there was a new sound...you know it..you've heard it... that low in the throat "cluck..cluck...cluck".
    Uh, oh, she's going over the edge, LOL. I put her on the roost and she stayed, yelling at everyone to stay out of her airspace, but I wouldn't be surprised if she's back on tomorrow first thing. Man, the Cochin/Silkie influence is strong in her, I bet. Let's just hope the Barred Rock side wins out with her two sisters. Well, maybe not. Kate, who gave me the hatching eggs, has a Barred Rock hen who goes broody from time to time, so Miss Livvie may get it coming and going.
    She's the black pullet in the pic with the wonky little comb:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  2. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    I heard a hen acts like that when they are about to lay one of her first eggs.

What makes you think she is broody if shes been off the nest all day...?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2008
  3. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    So if Livvie goes completely broody, what you gonna do? Her eggs probably are not fertile are they? Maybe hatch some other fertile eggs? Hmmmm?

Maybe you will get so see what Suede's babies look like THIS year? hehehe

Are you sure you have enuff chickens, Cyn? [​IMG]

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

THAT, Cyn, is a broody silkie!!! [​IMG] Trust me... I know how those crazy women are... I have TWO broody silkies right now! They are the worst. Any time those two even think I'm around, they screech and scream like someone is trying to kill them.
    When I boot them off their nests, they run around the yard chasing everyone- the roo, the DH, the dogs... No joke. Those broody silkies are mean little b****es! [​IMG]
    I know that deep clucking, too. I yank them off their nests and put them outside, and the both of them sit there like two pissy bumps on a log. Then, out of nowhere, they both go taking off, screeching, flapping, ticked off at the world, chasing everyone and everything in their sight.
    Hopefully Olivia will come to her BR senses, but it sounds like she's got the silkie 'tude! [​IMG] I mean, look at that face. How could she not have a 'tude? [​IMG]

5. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Your hens are doing what comes natural to them. If you have a roo in with them let them be, if not take the egg from her. My silkies will hatch anything I put in the nest.

6. speckledhen

My Buff Orp Sunny has been broody twice. This last time, she was weird on and off for a month before she finally went over the edge. She'd be normal, then she'd screech at me when I tried to pet her on the nest, then she'd be normal again, so I'm thinking Livvie is just working into her broody thing slowly. I let Sunny hatch two Barred Rock chicks because I didn't want to try to break her up again like the first time-it wasnt' pretty and it didn't work! Olivia's eggs may or may not be fertile-She's been laying for several weeks, but I havent seen Hawkeye mating her that I recall. He has mated others her age, though, so maybe I just missed it. I really don't want to hatch any of hers anyway.
    Hmm, Jill, I don't need anymore chickens around here, but I do need some guineas. I miss mine alot and I hate ticks! Had none last year when the guineas were ranging, but this year, different story. I could try and talk a neighbor out of some fertile eggs. Or I could just see what I could get from Mr. Suede's girls... hehehe, indeed.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  7. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    I have heard guinea's keep the bugs and ticks way down. Good luck if she goes broody all the way, I want to hear "the rest of the story". lol

My chickens are particular when it comes to bugs. They dont care for ants, turned their nose up at a caterpillar they found today (granted it gave off a noxious wet goo), chase moths but are too inept to catch them...same with grasshoppers...they are hopeless. [​IMG] If I lived in the country, I would definitely get a guinea too. [​IMG] With my luck, I would get picky guinea's as well. [​IMG]

8. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG] It's a shame that Mr. Hotwing isn't old enough to love his ladies! I'd send you some eggs!

9. speckledhen

Carri, that's so nice! I appreciate the thought anyway. Your young man is a hunk of baby roo, that's for sure. I love my three SL Wyandotte sisters so we'd just add some red/blue lacing to the scenery around here. I haven't checked on her yet today, so we'll see. If she's really gone nutty, I bet DH will try to discourage her. I'd rather give her a few eggs to hatch myself, chicken or guinea.

10. GinaSki

GinaSki Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2007
    speckled hen...
    what are the types of the 2 chicken in this picture?
    Can you tell I'm new at this !!!
    thanks !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by