Dang rooster's gonna be dinner!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TennesseeTruly, Jan 10, 2010.

1. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    A local man had hatched out too many Black Mottled Cochin bantam roosters and he and I were talking one day. He asked if I wanted them, if not, he was going to kill them and eat them. I said I'd take them. I've had them about oh...6 weeks or so. Today I go to feed them and one of those suckers came at me and started flogging me!

My first instinct was to drop what I had in my hands. He knew I was miffed! He ran! I chased him and he ran inside a cat carrier. Silly rooster, I can get you inside there!! I reached inside, dragged him out, then carried his darn fool feathery butt around while I fed everyone else.

He was NOT happy. He struggled and struggled to get out from under my arm. I kept talking to him telling him that *I* was the top rooster and he better not forget it. Yes, he's one of the larger roosters in that run (one of 7, I think) but I'll be darned if he's going to flog me!

The second I put him down, he took off running as far away from me as he could get. One or two of the other roosters came near me and I yelled, raised my hands and stomped my feet and they ran too.

I saved them from the dinner table once....they can always adorn MY dinner table!!

Laurie

2. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    if i lived in your area i would take one off your hands for you! [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sounds to me like you handled him just right. Don't ever back down to a rooster. [​IMG]

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Yum yum eat him up... If he does it again I would nt even hestitate...

5. 2ndtimearound

2ndtimearound Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2009
    Omaha
    Don't blame you a bit! [​IMG] Sounds like you showed him who's boss!! [​IMG] Freezer Camp if he tries anything like that again!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by