DANGER DANGER: Winter has arrived!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lyndatu, Nov 20, 2007.

1. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Frostbite [​IMG]

Not exactly snow because I live at the Philippines (tropical climate), but it's really cold here! I estimate it to be around 21.5 degrees Celsius. It often rains, too!

I am not yet finished with my coop, but it's almost done! And since we have a tropical climate(often very hot), I designed my coop to be heavily ventilated (chicken wire everywhere lol) but since it's cold, what should I do to keep it warm? A heat bulb probably isn't enough. I'm thinking about covering the chicken wire walls with a heavy cloth or something. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Wait... 21 deg Celcius! That is our summer temperatures!

Start to worry about cold chickens at like 5 deg Celcius. Mine sleep outside when it is 0 deg Celsius or even a bit lower.

3. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    21.5 degrees celcius. That's about 70 degrees F. isn't it? Not exactly cold, but if you are talking about baby chicks, they definately need protection. I would think a cloth, or cardboard, around the sides--something to turn the wind, then a heat lamp, would surely do it. Do you have a screen bottom, or a solid one? I would definately fix a solid bottom for babies, so the breeze, or draft, can't come up from below, while they are little.

4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Yeah, that's about 71 degs F. If your chick's are older than 5 weeks, they should be fine, just keep them out of the wind. They will need a wind break and a place to get out of the rain.

Boy, I wish it was 71 here. Burrrrr.

5. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    Thats so funny. My friend lives in Vegas and everytime she comes here when its less than 80 degrees she needs a coat and is freezing all the time. Your chickens should be just fine. [​IMG]

6. lyndatu

lyndatu Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Oh? 21 degrees is hot for you? Boy, that's cold for us! [​IMG]

Yes, I'm having baby chicks and I have a solid floor. Thanks for the help! I'm just going to sew some hard old cloth to make a "curtain"

7. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

It's been in the teens here in South Dakota and you think 70 degrees is cold. Come on up this way, and I'll show you what cold is.

8. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Yeah, its 21 degrees FAHRENHEIT here this morn. brrrrr! Poor chickens! I wished it was 70. [​IMG] I hate winter.

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Ah, since you are having baby chicks, yes, box in the coop and put in a heat lamp. Get the "brooder" to be about 35 deg for the first week and lower 3-4 deg each week till you don't need the light. That will be about 4 weeks if your temps are always 21!

10. JudyMcKinn

JudyMcKinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2007
    SW MO
    I am with you, thndrdancr. I hate winter, too, and I also am not too hopped up over what the holiday season has become. I will be happy to see Jan. 2. Then either a warm winter (not likely) or for spring to get here. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by