Danger of a furnace vent?

JenniferC

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
Hiya!

I have set up my "chicken area" to be alongside our house in a fenced in side yard. However I forgot that our furnace vent empties out on that side. This is a bit of a problem, because it blows hot air downwards, and once my chickies are living outside, I could imagine them trying to spend a lot of time warning up under the vent.

I'm wondering, how dangerous is this? What all toxins are coming out of that vent? It doesn't smell like gas. It's not killing the plants, in fact I used to have some annuals that lived many years under that vent due to the warmth.

I imagine it would be bad to put their coop directly under the vent, as whatever fumes could accumulate in the coop- but maybe I'm wrong.

Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Last edited:
More info- it's blowing downwards from a height of about 3 or 4 feet. So the air will have about 2 feet before it reaches them- as opposed to them sticking their face right inside it.

Also- it's an extremely old gas furnace. I wouldn't even know what company to call or what serial number to give.

Thanks again for any info.

If it's an old furnace venting to the side of the house a few feet off the ground, get that fixed no matter where you put the birds. That should pop through your roof!

If it's a dryer vent, don't attach anything to it to change directions. It could trap lint. Every so often a dryer can throw a spark down the tube (burnt up bug, bit of fried lint, etc.), which can start a fire.

Back
Top Bottom