1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dangerous lightening

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Nicole01, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Today has been crazy lightening weather. The lightening bolts are cloud to ground. One bolt hit our chicken run or right next to it. The kids and I screamed due to the noise being so loud. I'm too scared to go out and look. I hope it hit the ground and there is no damage. The run is next to our house, but I have all the chickens in the basement due to the hot scorching heat in the coop.

My husband witnessed a man being struck by lightening at a construction site. My dh is an inspector for the city. The lightening went through the mans hand and out his shoe while working on an electrical box. Luckily, the man was not injured badly.

The weather has just the right conditions to continue this crazy cloud to ground lightening all day! The dogs jump every time it hits near the house.

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    It's coming my way...

3. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Unplug your TV, Computer etc. We had a really good surge protector, but sometimes if it hits the house, that's it's.. Things will go, we had smoke coming out've our fuse panel. Take the metal chains of your dog, close windows tight, and take off your bra if there's metal in it.. I know this sounds parionad better safe then sorry... All the best

4. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:It's scaring me. Everytime the lightening strikes near the house it knocks out the internet. I hope it's almost over. Stay safe.

5. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:Everything is unplugged. I forgot to fill the tub in case the power goes out. It went out for a second. We fill the tub, so we can flush the toilet if there is no power. It's been a crazy summer with the heat and storms!

6. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:I'll go find the wife and try to explain this to her... [​IMG]

7. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Dang, and I was planning on going fishing in my metal bra during the storm! [​IMG]

8. Zinnia-Hen

Zinnia-Hen Live & Let Live

Jan 29, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Cant be worst than the zipper of your jeans! I would feel really sorry for those "family jewels"!

10. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by