dangerous plants?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MNmommy, Mar 23, 2009.

1. MNmommy

MNmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    I will be getting my first ever chickens in a couple weeks and we have many different flowers/ shrubs in our gardens and was wondering if you know of a good list of deadly/toxic plants that chickens should not eat?? I just want to avoid any dangers for them. I wish I could train them to eat just the weeds:p

thanks

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Chickens will eat everything. There are many, many plants that are poisonous to them. Azaleas for one. Google toxic plants to poultry and you will find plenty of info.

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

4. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Lynne P. wrote: I hope this helps! [​IMG]

http://www.poultryhelp.com/toxicplants.html

Very good link on toxic plants. Thanks! I have a desert tortoise and the list looks similar to the list I used before getting her.​

5. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Fortunately, most poisonous plants are bitter or generally unappealing to animals. Here's a big list for ya! http://www.plantsciences.ucdavis.edu/ce/king/PoisPlant/Tox-COM.htm
    If
    your birds do ingest a toxic plant, the symptoms occur pretty quickly. Keep whole milk, activated charcoal, and electrolytes on hand. Milk will flush the body, charcoal will absorb most toxins, and electrolytes will encourage proper water absorbtion. The goal is to dilute the toxin to a safe level.

6. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    I'm confused because I've seen posts on the BYC that stated that some posters have chickens who love cabbage.

Suzy

7. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Cabbage a goitrogenic poison, which isn't very harmful in moderation and it is deactivated when cooked (I think). Goitrogens affect the thyroid, interfering with iodine intake. In people, this would cause goitre (that gross massive double chin thing). In chickens, not sure what it would cause but obviously nothing serious if anything.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I don't worry about toxic plants. My chickens don't eat them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by