1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dangerous tornadic storms headed my way.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ChickenPeep, Apr 14, 2012.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I'm scared!!

There are various large, severe, tornado producing storms in central Kansas. And guess what, they're headed my way. [​IMG]

I'm watching the weather channel where they keep talking about tornadoes, severe storms, tornadoes, and oh yes, tornadoes.

I just can't keep my mind off of it and I'm all jumpy. And just to make it worse, my parents aren't home. [​IMG] Just to be safe, I have my 4 chickens in a cage in the basement, along with my rabbit and guinea pig.

I don't know what to do! All I can do is think about it! I absiloutley hate storms. Ahhhh!

I am prepared but hoping I will not hear the sound that makes my heart stop- the tornado siren. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. dfr1973

dfr1973 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Nov 20, 2011
    rural central FL
    Keep a radio on, as in my town the sirens are usually 5 minutes behind the radio announcements. If you choose to be above ground, keep an eye on the sky, watching for green and/or boiling clouds. You've already moved your pets to the basement - make sure you have flashlights or an emergency lantern down there, just-in-case, along with some drinking water and a snack.

Tornadoes and severe storms are no joke, but it sounds like you know what you should do if the warnings roll in. Take a deep breath and keep your wits about you!

Stay safe - I have some family in your area as well, so I hope the bad storms don't materialize at all. Just remember all you've been taught about how to keep safe.

3. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Thank you dfr1973. I hope your family is safe.

4. nonsuch

nonsuch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Poy Sippi, WI
    I hope everyone stays safe! I'm in Pennsylvania this weekend (I live in Wisconsin), but I've been watching the "Weather Channel" all day. Hang in there! Stay down the basement!

5. nonsuch

nonsuch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Poy Sippi, WI
    Saline, Ks huge tornado on the ground!!

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    YIKES! I hope we dont have another year of horrible tornado year like we did last year!

7. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    It's been a few hours now. The storm is supposed to hit around midnight.
    I'm hoping it will get weaker as it moves toward my area. [​IMG]

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I see it's been a few hours since your last post. Hope you are O.K. and the storm missed you guys. I can't imagine what you must've felt like. We don't really get tornadoes here, thankfully. We had a teeny tiny one recently, just took some house roofs off and blew down one of our trees, but I was terrified. I was worried sick about my chickens, but I couldn't face going outside. Thankfully they were o.k.

9. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Thank you for your concern.
    The storm hit us around 3 AM. It had diminished in size and only the edge of it hit us.
    Thankfully, there were no tornadoes and only huge gusty winds which we are still around.
    I'm very thankful that there was no damage! [​IMG]

10. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    I'm glad you are ok Peep! And I'm glad nothing was damaged!! I hate big storms too. I only like lightening storms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by