1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    walmart i have been reading here that the glass ones used in fish tanks are the best therm. as for hydometers i'm guessing you can get on at walmart as well

2. tennesseeckn

tennesseeckn Real or not real?

Jul 11, 2010
    Knoxville Area
    My walmart hydrometer let me down. I bought the least expensive one and dried out $60 worth of ameraucana eggs. [​IMG] Splurge and buy a good one.

3. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    For a hydrometer , you may want to look at places like Pets Mart , or that sell only pet supplies. They are often used in reptile cages.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  4. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    always calabrait any hydrometer you get. i calabraited mine from walmart and its six off..so if it says 40 its actually 46

5. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    what was the temp at before the broken thermo. was it stable? do you know how old the eggs are

6. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i would leave it on to keep it warm with it unplugged you will have to wait anouther day to put the eggs in if its still on all you would have to do is put the thermo. in wait at least 6 hours to see were the temp sits and adjust as needed. it took me almost a week to get mine stable

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by