Danish Brown leghorn cockerel or pullet?

Chick-N-Fun

Almy Acres Farm
8 Years
Jun 26, 2014
Upstate, NY
Hi there! I ordered pullets from a reputable hatchery. They sent me an additional chick to my order on the house.........hoping it's a pullet, but in already 5 weeks, this little one has a larger comb than the others and is already growing a wattle! Am I right to assume this guy is a little cockerel? I am so not interested in eating fertilized eggs, and hope that I won't have to send this one a-packin'.....what do you think?

I would hate to get rid of this little guy...I am squeamish about eating fertilized eggs......even tho I have probably eaten some without my knowledge!!!

I guess I will keep him unless he gets aggressive.....thoughts?

I would hate to get rid of this little guy...I am squeamish about eating fertilized eggs......even tho I have probably eaten some without my knowledge!!!

I would keep him if you like him, and you live in a place that can have roosters. :) He will help warn the girls of any danger (hopefully, anyway!). I have 2 of 6 that I suspect are roos, and I'm so sad that I can't keep either of them if they are. :(

Don't worry about the eggs! They are exactly the same except after being constantly incubated for 21 a chick will develop. They don't taste different, look different, or have any reason not to eat them. Don't get rid of your cockerel for that reason! Many cockerels never become aggressive, even the ones who do can be trained to accept who is boss. If you absolutely can't stand the idea of eating fertilized eggs, the cockerel will start mating when he is around three months old.

Back
Top Bottom