D'anver chick not doing so well

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Autumn Leaves, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Autumn Leaves

Autumn Leaves Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I have a single D'anver chick from a hatch. Hatch date Feb 13. Egg from ebay seller. It has been healthy so far and very active until today. I am new to chickens so I need some help figuring out what is up.

The chick will fall over and fail around with wings out. Peeps in distress and pants. Does not seem to be able to coordinate legs. Once this "fit" passes the chick can walk normally and acts normal. One of these 'events' happened about 10 minutes ago but now it is acting totally normal. This is the second time I have seen it today. The only thing I have found that seems near the symptoms is Avian Encephalomyelitis. This chick is not vaccinated against Marek's.

I only have 2 other chickens, Light Sussex hatched around Thanksgiving. They are outside in the run and have not interacted with this chick. They are fine. The older ones are vaccinated against Marek's - I did it myself.

Am I crazy? Is this something? I am mostly worried about it being something that my older birds can catch. I purposefully hatched my own chicks to avoid disease.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds very much like a possible seizure disorder. He could be barely old enough to start showing signs of Mareks, and probably at the maximum age for AE to show up since it happens within the first week or two. With either of those, the symptoms would probably not go away. I would put some poultry vitamins in the water, such as Rooster Booster Vitamins with Lactobacillus, which also contains a probiotic, in case of a vitamin deficiency.

3. Autumn Leaves

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Thanks for the info. I do hope it is a seizure disorder because I don't want my other birds sick.

The chick defiantly looked postictal after the episode. It was lethargic, puffed up and hunched over. I used to work with children with seizures so I immediately thought that's what it looked like. I figured I was just being paranoid - once you work with a specific disease you start seeing it everywhere.

I'll try to get it on video if it occurs again. If this little one does have seizures I'll just see how it goes and watch quality of life.

4. Autumn Leaves

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio
    My dog just alerted me to another one of the seizures. I was getting ready for work and she was howling in the kitchen. I figured the chick was seizing - sure enough it was. (My dog has told me of other pets being sick in the past). Bird was upside down, neck contorted to one side, beak gasping. This would be the third I have seen in two days - I'm sure I have missed some. The little chick just isn't as perky anymore. It does have electrolytes in its water and is on chick starter.

When I get home from work I'll talk to hubby about culling. I have seen what multiple seizures do to humans so I'm sure this is only going to get worse for the little one.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry that it is getting worse. It does sound like culling may be the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by