D'anvers have NEVER laid an egg :(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by georgina, Jan 27, 2010.

1. georgina

georgina Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    UK
    Hello everyone!!

I just popped on here to ask a few quick questions - I'm a little concerned about my d'anvers, Dave and Coral. I got them summertime last year as youngish but fully grown birds. The lady I got them from told me Coral wouldn't start laying eggs for a little while yet so I didn't expect any. I've continued to not expect any, thinking "she's only young..." until a friend bought some chickens last week and had her first egg within two days. Then I realised Coral should probably have laid some by now! [​IMG]

Is it ok that she hasn't laid any? I'd like to think it's just because her and Dave are having too much fun free ranging and eating mum's flowers to sit on an egg! I'm just a bit worried it could be a sign of illness or something. These are my first chickens so I get worried about everything! [​IMG]

They live in my shed with my little fancy pigeon flock. They have access to water and layers pellets all the time and help themselves to a bit of pigeon seed occasionally (although I try to keep this out of their reach if possible as I'm not sure it'd be good for them. They will pick up the seeds that the pigeons scatter though). There is a small rabbit hutch on the floor of the shed which was intended for them to use as a mini coop but they prefer to sit up high on the pigeons perch with them. They are free to come and go during the day and are shut in so they're safe overnight.

Is it something I'm doing wrong or could it be a sign of illness? To be honest, I hate eggs and I'm not planning on breeding any time soon so I'm not bothered if they just plain don't want to lay... I just feel I need to put my mind at rest that they're healthy and happy. [​IMG]

Any advice would be very much appreciated! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Flippacase

Flippacase Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    Massachusetts
    well because it is winter, and egg laying often slows down or stops during winter, she may not start laying untill spring.

Do you have a nest box for her? A small quiet place where she can go to lay her egg? Maybe she already started laying, and since she is free ranging, she might have a hideen nest somewhere on your property, full of eggs that you don't even know about![​IMG]

3. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Did I hear "free range"?

An Easter-egg hunt may be in order. If she doesn't have a nest box that she's used to laying in, she could be laying absolutely anywhere -- and likely in a well-hidden spot. You may have been getting eggs for quite a while.

4. georgina

georgina Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    UK
    Ohh!! [​IMG] *Goes to check the bushes*

There is a 'nesty boxxy area thingy bit' in the hutch, that's why I thought they might like it. They go in there for food but always perch high up with the pigeons overnight and seem to ignore the nest box.

Incidentally, does anyone know what d'anver eggs look like? Is it possible I may have mistaken them for pigeon eggs? The pigeons seem to lay all year round - little white eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by