Dare I hope... IT IS PEANUT! ( Link to Newspaper Article added)

MysticalMom

Songster
10 Years
Jul 1, 2009
You all know that a couple of weeks ago, that Peanut, my tiny crested "runner" cross that no one could ever figure out what she really was got carried off by a red tailed hawk. I was just devastated. I don't know a lot about hawk behavior but...........

My father in law came by today and during his visit tells us this weird story. He says that for a couple of mornings lately there's been a duck in his yard. A little tiny light brown duck with a weird poof of fluff on the top of it's head. He described Peanut to a tee. Said he called to it and it came close like it was tame, but wouldn't get quiiiiiiiiiite close enough.
hmm.png

The weird thing is, My father in law lives about 12 miles from us. He called his nearest neighbors, who have a pond, but no, they dont have any ducks, only geese and a few chickens.

He didn't see it today, but it was there yesterday and the day before (I wish he would have thought to call US when he first saw it but why would he 12 miles away?) He's headed back there to look around and check out the pond on the next farm over, if he sees it he'll call us right away. And if it's there in the morning he will call us right away.

So do you think it could be Peanut? Would a little hawk fly with something almost as big as him in his talons for 12 and 1/2 miles and then drop it? My FIL said the duck didn't look hurt, was just curled up under the bushes sleeping when he first saw it and near as he could tell it didn't eat or drink anything he left it. ( he's an animal lover too:) )

Dare I hope it's my Peanut? Or do you think it's just coincidence?

fl.gif

Last edited:
It would be a miracle if it is Peanut... stranger things have happened though - I hope it is Peanut - as xke4 says - we will be watching this thread with interest - hopefully tomorrow she will be back with you!
fl.gif

It is possible, hawks are known to have a 50 mile radius hunting area so it could be going back to it's own territory with it's prize and somehow dropped it, probably got dive bombed by other birds.
close.jpg

Please please please ............ let it be peanut. There are so many stories of loss on these pages at times...the balance needs to tip with some wonderful news like that.

Last edited:
I really hope its him ,my friends dog came over on Sunday and took one of my white call ducks, this is the second time it was a frizzle last time, so I know what it is like to loose one so fingers crossed it is peanut and you have a happy ending

One of my daughters lives in the apartment that's attached to my in laws house. She said she saw the duck this morning and thought to herself, "Wow. There's a duck in the yard that looks just like Mom's Peanut." But she was on her way to work and didn't think about it again.
hmm.png
Everyone looked around and didn't see her this evening, but they promise to call in the morning if she's out there again. It's awfully cold and the wind is blowing like crazy. I keep thinking how cold, scared and confused she must be if it is her.
sad.png

I'm hoping too you guys. Keep sending this awesome positive energy. I'm a nervous wreck. But wouldn't it be just amazing if I got her back?
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom