Dare2Dream Farm chicks are shipped from Ideal Hatchery

DontPulletMyLeg

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2017
Tehachapi, CA
I have been looking into purchasing chicks Dare2Dream Farm. I read a post about ethical hatcheries on here and their name came up, even mentioning that they do not cull their unwanted males which I liked. I made an appointment for this upcoming Friday a few weeks ago to check out their farm. I wanted to make sure I was getting birds from a clean facility and to see how they care for their birds. However when I called today to confirm my appt time, I asked about what they do with their unwanted male chicks. Whoever I spoke with told me that the chicks are not born there but instead are shipped to them from Ideal Hatchery in Texas. She said the hatchery sexes them and then ships to them. I was a bit shocked as I was under the assumption from reading previous posts that they are born there.

Long story short I cancelled my appt and now trying to source Easter Eggers and Buff Orphintons chicks elsewhere. Just thought I would post this thread so other people do not assume what I assumed from reading a previous post on here.

I have been looking into purchasing chicks Dare2Dream Farm. I read a post about ethical hatcheries on here and their name came up, even mentioning that they do not cull their unwanted males which I liked. I made an appointment for this upcoming Friday a few weeks ago to check out their farm. I wanted to make sure I was getting birds from a clean facility and to see how they care for their birds. However when I called today to confirm my appt time, I asked about what they do with their unwanted male chicks. Whoever I spoke with told me that the chicks are not born there but instead are shipped to them from Ideal Hatchery in Texas. She said the hatchery sexes them and then ships to them. I was a bit shocked as I was under the assumption from reading previous posts that they are born there.

Long story short I cancelled my appt and now trying to source Easter Eggers and Buff Orphintons chicks elsewhere. Just thought I would post this thread so other people do not assume what I assumed from reading a previous post on here.
Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

I used to live in Tehachapi. :)

That stinks that someone is misrepresenting themselves'. :hmm All though many others may have assumed the chicks hatched there too even though dare2dream didn't say that?

Good news is there are tons of feed stores (including Tractor Supply Co) that will have Buff Orp and EE right now. You can call them (the different places hardly have the same breeds at the same time) and see what they have in and when they might have the breeds you want coming in.

I don't know if this place is legit or not, they've been advertising on my local Craigslist at the Ca/Or border... But they claim to be an NPIP hatchery with lots of breeds, right there in Tehachapi! :confused:
http://www.signaturepoultry.com/15-ameraucana-chicks-see-video/

If you're familiar with chickens, and I presume you are at least some, since you state Easter Eggers... then you already know, regardless of them being labeled Ameraucana (at most places) they are in fact EE. :old

Anyways, I love EE and will probably always have some in my flock! :D

Good luck finding the chick breeds you are hoping for! :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom