Dark air sac help?!

0iseau

Chirping
Apr 7, 2021
I'm hatching cayuga ducks and noticed that one of my egg's air sac has gone dark. Candling shows nothing - just darkness. The egg was doing well yesterday so this happened overnight.
They just hit day 25 so they're due to hatch in 3 days.
Any help would be much appreciated

Though you say you see nothing, pictures would help.

1617830625864.png

1617830662446.png

This is what I could get ^^

Looks like it broke though the inner membrane. Duck eggs sometimes have a transparent look to them while hatching. Just be patient ducklings take forever to hatch compared to chicks. Just leave them be and they will come
Happy hatching.

Looks like it broke though the inner membrane. Duck eggs sometimes have a transparent look to them while hatching. Just be patient ducklings take forever to hatch compared to chicks. Just leave them be and they will come
Happy hatching.
Awesome thank you so much! First time hatching so I'm a bit overly anxious ^^;

1. @0iseau, have they hatched?
2. When my chicken was a late hatch, I was so anxious that it was all I could do to read to the egg for hours on end instead of staring at it for hours on end :).

1. @0iseau, have they hatched?
2. When my chicken was a late hatch, I was so anxious that it was all I could do to read to the egg for hours on end instead of staring at it for hours on end :).
1. Unfortatenly the egg in question did not make it :(
I had poked a safety hole in case they were stuck but between then and the next time I opened the incubator (had to take out some rowdy ducklings) all movement had ceased. Further investigation showed that the chick looked to be mispositioned and wouldn't have been able to break out on its own.

2. I love that haha, I had one duckling who was a very difficult hatch (also sadly did not make it due to a variety of reasons) and I sat there crocheting while listening to podcasts.

In response to 1: that's so sad! I'm sorry.
In response to 2: that's also sad, and I'm sorry about that too- but at least you got to listen to podcasts during that!

Back
Top Bottom