dark barred plymouth rocks

oldbird1

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 14, 2013
Wollongong Australia
I would like to start a page on D/B Plymouth Rocks they are an old American breed and have good egg laying qualities as well as a good table bird, I have photo's of my chicks but do not know how to post them with this page as yet but will eventually learn. oldchuck1

Quote:
Thanks I would love to see pics of such chicks, if they are the same kind of Dark Barred as the Dark Barred Plymouth Rocks found in Australia I would love to see the male chicks down color... google image of such birds.. https://www.google.com.ni/search?q=...uIGwCA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1063&bih=672&dpr=1 and nice pics from the Australian kind
62e5ac67_018_534x640_534x640_401x480_.jpeg

Hi sorry about the delay but have had problems I live in Wollongong Australia so my barred rocks are Aussie bred from show stock in Penrith district my chicks are coming up to 12 weeks old and I would love to show photo's but wouldn't know where to start as I struggle on a computer sorry but can send photo by Email 1 at a time oldbird1

Hi I must say I hope my chickens grow to some where near the quality of your beautiful looking barred rocks, I went into your photo's and saw your 1st prize in 2006 but guess you have many more prizes since then I intend to join a poultry club in the near future oldbird1

Hi just wondering if a year after this post if you still breed your Plymouth Rocks???
I'm looking for a hen, chick, or a young point of lay.
I'm in Shellharbour area.
Also interested in breeds Wyandotte and Barnevelder if you or anyone in Wollongong NSW can help.
Thanks

Hi Unicornmaid I have just recently sent my flock of D/B P/Rocks 2 roosters and 7 laying pullets up to my son living in Mudgee who was going to breed them as I cant keep Roosters in town but 2 weeks ago a blo--y fox got in the coop and killed all but for 1 Rooster so we have to start again would love to have helped you I still have a mix of 3 Isa Browns 1 Light Sussex 2 Road Island Reds and 2 12 week old Plymouth rocks hopefully pullets, we are also chasing laying stock oldbird1

Afternoon Oldbird1 I'm so sorry to hear about your flock up at Mudgee (******* foxes) but did I read right that you have 2 12wk Plymouths hens (hopefully)......For sale is that correct??? if so I'd love to buy one of your P/R hens.
ya.gif
Unicornmaid

Hi, I bought six black chicks from a farm supply after calling the hatchery, who identified them as Black Australorps they'd sent in the Easter chick order. After a week or so I noticed three of them were a lighter shade of black, smaller, and getting bars. So I called the hatchery again and they said those must be Barred Rocks. So, now I have another interesting breed to learn about and am just beginning to research them.

Last edited:
Update: Mine turned out to be regular BPR with black and white bars. Now that I've seen pics of DBPRs, which are more gray or blackish all over, I think they're beautiful and am wondering where I could get some in the future. Are they almost extinct or something? I don't recall seeing them on any hatchery websites.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom