dark barred plymouth rocks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by oldbird1, Oct 17, 2013.

1. oldbird1

oldbird1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    Wollongong Australia
    I would like to start a page on D/B Plymouth Rocks they are an old American breed and have good egg laying qualities as well as a good table bird, I have photo's of my chicks but do not know how to post them with this page as yet but will eventually learn. oldchuck1

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
  3. oldbird1

Oct 14, 2013
    Wollongong Australia
    Hi sorry about the delay but have had problems I live in Wollongong Australia so my barred rocks are Aussie bred from show stock in Penrith district my chicks are coming up to 12 weeks old and I would love to show photo's but wouldn't know where to start as I struggle on a computer sorry but can send photo by Email 1 at a time oldbird1

4. oldbird1

Oct 14, 2013
    Wollongong Australia
    Hi I must say I hope my chickens grow to some where near the quality of your beautiful looking barred rocks, I went into your photo's and saw your 1st prize in 2006 but guess you have many more prizes since then I intend to join a poultry club in the near future oldbird1

5. Unicornmaid

Unicornmaid New Egg

Sep 22, 2014
    Hi just wondering if a year after this post if you still breed your Plymouth Rocks???
    I'm looking for a hen, chick, or a young point of lay.
    I'm in Shellharbour area.
    Also interested in breeds Wyandotte and Barnevelder if you or anyone in Wollongong NSW can help.
    Thanks

6. oldbird1

Oct 14, 2013
    Wollongong Australia
    Hi Unicornmaid I have just recently sent my flock of D/B P/Rocks 2 roosters and 7 laying pullets up to my son living in Mudgee who was going to breed them as I cant keep Roosters in town but 2 weeks ago a blo--y fox got in the coop and killed all but for 1 Rooster so we have to start again would love to have helped you I still have a mix of 3 Isa Browns 1 Light Sussex 2 Road Island Reds and 2 12 week old Plymouth rocks hopefully pullets, we are also chasing laying stock oldbird1

7. Unicornmaid

Unicornmaid New Egg

Sep 22, 2014
    Afternoon Oldbird1 I'm so sorry to hear about your flock up at Mudgee (******* foxes) but did I read right that you have 2 12wk Plymouths hens (hopefully)......For sale is that correct??? if so I'd love to buy one of your P/R hens. [​IMG]Unicornmaid

8. oldbird1

Oct 14, 2013
    Wollongong Australia
    Hi Unicornmaid I will split my pair of chicks if your interested just ring 42294710 and we can make arraignments cheers Bas.

9. ConPollos

ConPollos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2015
    Hi, I bought six black chicks from a farm supply after calling the hatchery, who identified them as Black Australorps they'd sent in the Easter chick order. After a week or so I noticed three of them were a lighter shade of black, smaller, and getting bars. So I called the hatchery again and they said those must be Barred Rocks. So, now I have another interesting breed to learn about and am just beginning to research them.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  10. ConPollos

ConPollos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2015
    Update: Mine turned out to be regular BPR with black and white bars. Now that I've seen pics of DBPRs, which are more gray or blackish all over, I think they're beautiful and am wondering where I could get some in the future. Are they almost extinct or something? I don't recall seeing them on any hatchery websites.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by