1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dark Brahma, 5 weeks, roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PaintedMeadows, Jul 22, 2008.

1. PaintedMeadows

PaintedMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    Boy are you guys going to get tired of all of my questions. [​IMG] This ugly little fellow is 5 weeks old and I am thinking fellow. What do you all think? Of 4 chicks 3 look like this one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry they are such bad pictures. He is a turkey to catch, always running around. [​IMG]

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I would guess rooster also.

3. ParkerVA

ParkerVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Blue Ridge, VA
    I think rooster too, the other one, that you see half of in the fist picture, looks like a pullet.

4. PaintedMeadows

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    Here is a picture of the one that we think is a pullet, she was half in the second picture.

[​IMG]

5. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    From the feathering I would say roo. There isn't any lacing on the feathers and the pullets are double laced like your pullet. This one looks alot like my dark Brahma cockerel did a week or so ago. Hardly any feathers and the ones he had were black and white. This is him now:
    [​IMG]

6. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Can someone post a dark Brahma bantam pullet at around 8 weeks? I am starting to think I may have a roo now? [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Paintedmeadows, your first pics are of a roo. I say this not only because of his feathering, but because of his bare wing bows as well. The second, larger pic is almost certainly a hen.
    Lanissa, I looked all thru my photo album and couldn't come up with one good pic of one of my dark hens at 8 weeks. In this first pic you can kinda see the double laceling of a dark hen at the top of the pic. The second pic is of my dark roo, Thor, at exactly 8 weeks. Maybe that'll help.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  8. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    roo

9. PaintedMeadows

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    Thank you everyone. That is what I figured. Oh well, more for the table. Thanks for the help.

10. brockhausfarms

brockhausfarms New Egg

Apr 19, 2016
    So I have 2 that look lke the 2 cream colored ones and one that looks like the dark with white.... I'm new at this does the color tell gender? Out of my 2 cream ones one is much much larger

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by