Dark Brahma at 5 months

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jaredyates, Jul 13, 2010.

1. jaredyates

jaredyates New Egg

Feb 25, 2010
    Today we were looking at Boots, our bonus chick from Murray McMurray. Boots has been chasing the ladies, and trying to mate with them. We thought that this must have been a pecking order thing, since he/she never has crowed. After seeing other pictures and looking at his/her feathers, I'm really starting to think that Boots is a rooster. What do you all think? Also, we were just guessing about the Dark Brahma breed. In the photo, boots is the one on the right side in the foreground. Just now I notice that her position and posture relative to the ladies is more like Marco Pollo, our blue andalusian rooster on the left background.

[​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Boots is a rooster. Females would have penciling.

3. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Boots is a rooster. Females would have penciling.

Yes, rooster.​

4. jaredyates

jaredyates New Egg

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks! I'm really glad that he hasn't been crowing! He might have a place in the flock for a little while longer.

5. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Yes its a roo, and a beautiful one at that!!!

6. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

That's the male feather pattern for the dark brahma variety. This one is never, ever, ever going to lay an egg. It's a cockerel. I've noticed my brahmas aren't frequent crowers. But when he does crow, you'll know it because it will be a deep, throaty crow.

7. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    ::whistles:: My Brahma Mama would like a piece of him! LOL I have a Dark Brahma hen, and she is woo wooing from the yard, I can hear her LOL

8. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

I forgot to say, welcome to the BYC! [​IMG]

9. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I agree with everyone else, definitely Dark Brahma roo.

He will probably start crowing soon and will make a HUGE bird.....mine weighs over 12lbs and he has growing to do yet!

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by