dark brahma bantam sexing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by VioletandBodie, Aug 16, 2010.

1. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    when is the earlyest they feather by? are polishes was to small so no polishes [​IMG] but there is someone who is offering us dark brahma bantams but we can only have females what is the soonest we cant tell weather or not there boys or girls?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The interesting thing about dark brahmas (whether bantam or LF) is that the males feather in completely different than the females. The cockerels will have alot of solid black, the pullets will have the typical lacing.

It's kind of hard to see here, but the cockerel is on the left. He's more solid black than the pullet.

[​IMG]

3. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    Give it a few weeks & when you seen dark greenish black feathers growing in you will know it is a boy. Bob went from looking like a chipmunk when he was a baby, to be completely laced to now being mostly greenish black except for his saddle feathers & neck feathers... Oh & best Rooster ever!

Dark Brahma Rooster progression....Hope this helps..

Day old Bob
    [​IMG]

10 days old
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18 days old
    [​IMG]

3.5 weeks old
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5 weeks old
    [​IMG]

7 weeks old
    [​IMG]

11 weeks old
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16 weeks
    [​IMG]

19 weeks
    [​IMG]

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Great pictures of Dark Brahma progression. They are the only Brahmas that are easy to sex at any early age, but a good guide in all Brahma types is the speed of feathering, the girls getting wing and shoulder feathers a lot faster than the boys .

Sandie

5. mcostas

mcostas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    I have dark brahmas too! This one is the largest one, does it look like a roo? I don't see any black feathers coming in. I got them less than a week ago, the other ones are somewhat smaller. I also can't have a roo, or maybe I should say that I can have one until he crows. Heck, I really don't think my neighbors would care if I had one to tell the truth. The less attention I attract the better though.

[​IMG]

They are harder to photograph than you would think!

6. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    thanks guys also your birds are adorable

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by