Dark Brahma & blue brahma chicks - male or female? Also might not be a dark brahma - ??????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by loopy12, Sep 3, 2016.

1. loopy12

loopy12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    I have 7 brahma chicks. I know the sex of the three light brahmas and the two partridge brahmas, but am unsure about my dark brahma and blue brahma. Any guesses?
    The dark brahma isn't very pencilled compared to my female partridge brahma, but doesn't have dark chest feathers or shanks either, and has a somewhat pink comb. I should add that I'm only assuming it's a dark brahma. Here in Italy they have different names - it's a brahma maglie argento which translates as a silver partridge brahma -is that different to a dark brahma??? The chick looks lighter on its chest than dark brahma chick photos I've googled...but male partridges don't have double lacing no matter their color, right? This chick definitely has pencilled feathers
    The blue brahma feathered really slowly, suggesting male, but is super docile, very shy, small light comb.
    Any thoughts? They are about seven weeks old.

Chick 1:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Chick 2 - not great photos - very shy!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  2. sebloc

sebloc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2016
    Connecticut
    Do not base my answer off any decisions you have. At 7 weeks it's hard to tell. They seem to be hens but I'd wait for someone else to have a say.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by