SegiDream

Songster
Apr 23, 2020
Southeast TN
Could someone help identify their genders if it is possible please? My dark brahmas are about 6 weeks old maybe a little less, I got them close to the first of April. There are 4 dark brahmas, 3 are currently outside and 1 is still inside with my wyandotte and two younger buff brahma babies. I numbered the pictures for reference. The 3 outside look very very similar with feather markings/patterns the only difference is one is slightly smaller with an overall lighter shade, couldn't get good pictures of their combs but they don't look prominent at all. They are hatchery chicks if that explains anything.

Attachments

• Cropped1.jpg
    Cropped1.jpg
    925.1 KB · Views: 46
  • cropped2.jpg
    cropped2.jpg
    527.8 KB · Views: 46
  • cropped3.jpg
    cropped3.jpg
    442.9 KB · Views: 49
  • cropped4.jpg
    cropped4.jpg
    655.8 KB · Views: 49
Dark brahmas are easy. The males are very different in feather colors.

It appears you hit the jackpot! All look to be females.

For reference....their pics are great!
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/dark-brahmas.html

Thank you thank you! I'm pleased to have more hens than roosters so far! I thought the ones outside are females/pullets but the one inside is standing upright like a male and the feathers are darker on top and less "lacing" on the feathers. Here are the pictures I took this morning.

Attachments

• Cropped5.jpg
    Cropped5.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 44
  • Cropped6.jpg
    Cropped6.jpg
    681.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Cropped7.jpg
    Cropped7.jpg
    997.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Cropped8.jpg
    Cropped8.jpg
    905.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Cropped9.jpg
    Cropped9.jpg
    463.5 KB · Views: 42
Thank you thank you! I'm pleased to have more hens than roosters so far! I thought the ones outside are females/pullets but the one inside is standing upright like a male and the feathers are darker on top and less "lacing" on the feathers. Here are the pictures I took this morning.

Still all females! Congratulations on that jackpot!

Yes it is a jackpot. If I'm right about the others there is 1 roo and 7 hens (edit 8 hens I can't count lol). And my two buffs are still too young to tell but I'm hoping for one of each so I can breed pure buffs in the future. Fingers crossed!

An update in case anyone else has a dark brahma cockerel and not sure what they look like at this age... pictures #3,4 and E are a cockerel. This is what he looks like now at 5+ months.

Attachments

• 5months dark brahma.jpg
    5months dark brahma.jpg
    751.1 KB · Views: 27

Back
Top Bottom