Dark Brahma: Male or Female??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nessabelle, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Nessabelle

Nessabelle New Egg

Oct 16, 2013
    I thought she was a female, but now that more feathers are coming in, they seem too dark...however it also seems to have some feathers that I just don't see in the pics I've seen of dark brahma roosters. He/she's a mix of browns, dark greys, and blacks. I don't really see any white...I do see beige, but she's not as striped as she was about 2 weeks ago. I see both male and female characteristics on this one. What do you guys think? I'll take more pics if I need to.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The comb is decent sized, but not huge.....

I thought for sure this one was a hen, but now I'm second guessing. Thanks for your help!

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    How old? :)

3. Nessabelle

Nessabelle New Egg

Oct 16, 2013
    See...that is a problem with this one. It's supposed to be a bantam, but I have 4 other bantams (males and females) and this one has towered over them in every way since day one. However, it was the last one to get its feathers, which makes me think its younger. Personally, I don't think it's bantam, but then this is my first time with the bantams so I could be wrong. I got them from a feed store, so who knows how old they are, but I've had this one for about 7 or 8 weeks.

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I'm guessing that is a cockerel then.

5. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    X2 I see sickles...

6. Nessabelle

Nessabelle New Egg

Oct 16, 2013
    Darn! I had "her" named and everything. Guess he's getting a new name. Still a very sweet bird tho. Doesn't like fighting...unlike my other little roo.... ;) Thanks for the help!

7. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Aw, I know how that is...Changing Ramona's to Ramses, Olivia's to Oliver's, Clucka's to Clucker's...lol.

8. wild willy

wild willy New Egg

Feb 8, 2014
    its a cockral

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by