Dark Brahma Photoshoot

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Morgan7782, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Just got done snapping some pictures of my new addition. She is a Dark Brahma pullet (when do they become hens??) named Monica, nicknamed Brahma Momma. She is very sweet, and calm. My first experience with this breed [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is her and Joon, my 14 week old Barred Rock pullet, having a stand off. No noise, no chest bumping, they just stared each other down. It was intense haha.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Joon standing down
    [​IMG]

I'm a big girl too!! Adopted baby
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Final
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    She's lovely! How big is she?

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Not sure on weight, but that red pullet next to her is 10 weeks old, and the Barred Rock behind her outside the run is 14 weeks old. If the comparison helps at all [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    She's pretty, as are the other ones. [​IMG]
    A pullet becomes a hen at a year old, though I started calling miine hens when they started laying.
    A cockerel is a male chicken under the age of one. After that they are roosters or cocks.

5. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Thanks for the clarification! This is my first go round with Brahma's. I had avoided them in the past because of their broody tendencies, but I fell head over heels in love with her color. Broodiness or not. If she becomes broody I will let her hatch some eggs out in my smaller coop. Do you own Brahma's gritsar? How do they lay when they are not broody? Have you dealt with any broody girls? I am just learning about this breed [​IMG]

6. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    She's beautiful...and looks like she knows it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by