Dark brahma roosters

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by New2TheCoop, May 15, 2011.

1. New2TheCoop

New2TheCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Central, LA
    Hi everyone, I am new to chickens & I am having a great time raising my new chickens! I have some questions about using dark brahma roosters for meat. I received 14 roosters for warmth (one ended up being a hen) anyways, this has left me with 11 roosters that must go. I was wondering if any of you have ever processed brahmas? How old were they? Average weights? Any pics? Any input would be appreciated!

2. New2TheCoop

Feb 5, 2011
    Central, LA
    Bump

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    It takes them a long time to overcome the meat to bone ration. They may look big, but under those feathers there isn't much meat. I did a few at 30 weeks and was greatly disappointed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it can take as long as 2 years for a Brahma to reach it's mature size. Not that you would wait that long to butcher, just saying they fill out very, very slowly.

4. New2TheCoop

Feb 5, 2011
    Central, LA
    Quote:Thanks! Mine are about 12 weeks, and they are pretty big. I was thinking around July, but it seems i might have to wait a little linger. Anybody else know anything about this?

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I butcher when they start crowing and becoming a general pain in the [email protected]#.

6. New2TheCoop

Feb 5, 2011
    Central, LA
    Quote:Lol [​IMG]

7. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    [​IMG] Right! But yes,I did research on meat breeds and found that the brahmas take a long time to grow...just like the Jersey Giants...I personally am about to start some Delewares because my reds were a bit disappointing in size...it's all a live and learn experience I guess.Thank goodness for BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by