Dark Brahma with a Dirty Rear End

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MamaTaney, Dec 28, 2008.

1. MamaTaney

MamaTaney Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2008
    Salem, VA
    We've been having lots of rain here lately in SW VA, without things getting a chance to really dry out on days without rain. (I'm really bummed we're not getting any snow, but that's another rant [​IMG])
    My husband noticed that our Dark Brahma's rear end had a nice coating of poo on it. It looked like the feather's were almost dipped in it, but didn't necessarily looked like it was clumping & blocking her up at all. I checked out our Partridge Cochins and one of them had a similar looking backside. They're almost 9 months old now. None of our other "less fluffy" birds has this issue, and only one of the cochins did.
    I also think the Brahma has just started laying eggs. Up till now our Orpington was our only layer. Since we've just been getting one extra, and we only have one Brahma, I'm thinking she may be our new layer, but I haven't "lifted their skirts" to really examine since it isn't THAT big an issue to us.
    Are poopy rear ends common with extra fluffy and feather-footed chickens??
    Thanks,
    Carrie

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I've only had that dirty bottoms from my brahmas on a few occasions and it was only mildly dirty. A day or two later and their bottoms are clean again.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I had one bird once with a really dirty bottom that wouldn't wash off so I clipped the feathers off. The feathers grew back beautifully.

4. MamaTaney

MamaTaney Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2008
    Salem, VA
    Thank you both for your responses. The weather here is finally beginning to dry up some, so I will give her a bit longer to see if that helps clear up her rear. If not I guess we'll try washing and if that fails, trimming. She is one of the birds laying though, I figured that much for certain, so I suppose it isn't causing anything other than a faux pas of sorts. [​IMG]

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Mine was laying when I trimmed her bottom. She looked funny for awhile, but the feathers really didn't take that long to grow back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by