1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dark brahma x other colored brahmas = ???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by v.cyr, Feb 20, 2012.

1. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    was messing around on the chicken calculator because my GF was wondering what we would get if we crossed dark brahmas with either the buffs we have now, or the lights we are planning on getting this year, and I couldn't find dark, or silver penciled in their selections... does anyone know what we would get...

2. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    Depends what color/variety your rooster is. Need more Info.

3. v.cyr

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    we have a buff brahma roo right now... hopefuly we can get a light one too... the place we usually get chicks typically only has pullets in the darks... so it would probably be a light or buff roo over a dark hen...

4. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    Generally, any resulting female chicks will more closely resemble the color of their sire, when mixing colors. The male chicks can show both silver and gold influence, resulting in a brassy looking cock.

Pattern wise the columbian of the lights or buffs seem to be the dominant result when mixing patterns, at least in the first cross.

5. v.cyr

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    would anything interesting be likely to pop up in subsequent generations?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by