Dark Brown egg layer chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jennifer A, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Jennifer A

Jennifer A Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2015
    I'm wanting to order some of the dark brown egg layers chicks this spring. But they need to be cold tolerant. Any suggestions?

2. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Marans, Welsummers and Barnvelders are all quite cold hardy and good egg layers,

3. Jennifer A

Jul 30, 2015
    And they all have dark brown eggs?

4. McKinneyMike

McKinneyMike Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2013
    McKinney, TX
    Yes they do.

5. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Yes they do.
    Welsummers have a more terracotta brown egg whereas Marans and Barnevelders have a more chocolate brown egg.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Where are you located? How cold are we talking?

7. Jennifer A

Jul 30, 2015
    I'm in the mountains of NC. It's been in the teens and my coop is too far a way from electricity to heat

8. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Hatchery Marans may not produce as dark an egg as breeder quality birds, especially the more common clean legged types. My Black Copper Marans from a breeder have very dark chocolate eggs. Mary

9. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I have hatchery wellsummer that lays lighter eggs than my barred rocks. The only way to be sure of dark eggs is to get your bird from a breeder.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    In your climate you don't need to worry about breed so much, you could do the Mediterranean breeds if you were so inclined. That could open up the Penedesenca in addition to the above breeds. You'll just want to do your research and, if you're really wanting dark eggs, go with a breeder that has selected for that trait. It may mean ordering hatching eggs and dealing with males you hatch out, a lot of breeders don't ship chicks.

Or, you can always advertise a wanted ad on CL or similar. A lot of folks think "Oh, no one around me raises X breed"....but honestly, does everyone in a 20 mile radius know what breeds you have? I've found folks breeding some very nice, very rare breeds within a decent driving distance with a simple wanted ad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by