Dark brown egg laying breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Henrietta23, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I have 8 chicks on order (combined with a friend's Murray McMurray order) for delivery in mid April:
    2 BO
    2 Black Austrolorps
    2 Red Sex Links
    2 Americanas

I find myself wanting a dark brown egg layer or two so I did the thing on mypetchicken that tells you what breed is for you. McMurray only sells Welsummers and Cuckoo Marans as straight run so I looked at the list for mypetchicken thinking I could order from them and I can, but now I've become obsessed with Barnevelders and I can't find anyone who does small order who has them. Any ideas? I'm in eastern CT. And I'm quickly becoming a chicken-aholic......

2. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Try ebay. There was a guy selling them yesterday. He lists quite often and has good feedback
    oops sorry, his are hatching eggs

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I think ideal sells them and the minimum for Ideal is an order of 20$ or more no chick minimums nice sheep to I want some east fresians for cheese making when I get older.

Thanks
    Henry

4. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:Oh well. It was a thought. If I even suggest a 'bator my DH's head will explode!

5. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Oh and Meyer hatchery sells all of those breeds sexed but they dont have barnlavenders and there minimum order is 3 chicks but they charge more for small orders I got my marans from them and I am ordering again in spring.

6. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Just do what I did. Bought myself one for my Birthday LOL. Good luck, wish I could be of more help

7. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Ideal sells all 3 breeds sexed too. They require a $25 minimum order, but they'll send less than 25 birds. I'm probably going to go through Ideal because they have the breeds and colors that I want.

8. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I am still trying to come up with 7 chicks that equal 25$ does any one want to split an order ? I am in maryland

9. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:That's looking like the only option right now. I'd have to pay $20 for 2 or three chicks and they'd stick in a bunch of others that would probably all be roos I'd have to find homes for. So here's another thought: if I were to order, say 10 Barnedvelder pullet chicks, would I easily be able to sell some of them when they got older? I don't know many chicken people in the area.

10. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

Ideal offers a dark brown egg layer assortment which I ordered. You get Barnvelders, Cuckoo Marans and Welsummers. I ordered 25 and received exactly 25 (one died the next day).

I'm not too excited with the chicks though. They seemed smaller than normal and not very active. They are 11 weeks old now and two of the marans have yellow legs rather than white and two I suspect are roos. One of the roos doesn't look like any of the above - considering I ordered 25 and received that number, he shouldn't be a 'packing peanut'.

I'll let you know how I like them in a few weeks when they start to lay and how many did turn out to be roos and how many of the marans ended up being Barred Rocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by