1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dark brown eggs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by OcoeeG, Jan 29, 2009.

1. OcoeeG

OcoeeG Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2008
    Chattanooga
    I want a few hens that lay those deep darkbrown eggs. What are some of the breeds that lay those eggs with good production? Thanks in advance

2. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Marans, for one thing. [​IMG]

Oh, and [​IMG] .

3. COChickens

COChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    My marans lay beautiful brown eggs and like crazy to!!

4. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    Welsumers
    Barnvelders

In many cases you will find that hatchery birds will match many of the "dark" egg layers you find out there.

Marans, however , except in rare cases , I have found that Cuckoo Marans Breeders seem to have trouble producing consistant dark laying hens. The better Marans breeders are also very expensive , I have been quoted as much as 120.00 for a dozen hatching eggs.

I have 2 Marans pullets, their eggs are not any darker than the hatchery Welsumers I have had. I will say this though their eggs are very uniform in color, not as many spots as I remember the Welsumers having.

I have placed an order for 24 hatching eggs (Welsumers) from a breeder, that from the pictures on her site, have excellent egg color. 35.00 a dozen, though I got a break for 2.

I am also going to go to OK and pickup some started Marans from a person that I have read good things about.

When I am through experimenting I will post pictures.

5. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    i got a couple marans because i wanted those dark brown too...
    but their PERSONALITIES is what you will fall in love with... even tho the eggs are fun to look at, the birds are great and i want more!!!!!
    i only have 3hens and one roo.... i need more... need more MARANS

6. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    my maran eggs are not super dark.. not chocolate.. just dark...
    its OK, because i love the birds..
    i am sure you can tell what 3 are the maran eggs

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  7. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

MMM,

Penedesenca as well, but a very skittish breed, not for the fainthearted! This is from a Crele Penedesenca.
    [​IMG]

Cuckoo Marans from "decent lines", not good/reputable or Hatchery:
    [​IMG]

Black Copper Marans are known to lay the darkest, depending on the lines you get. Mine are just starting to lay, I dont have pic in town.

Welsummer are nice dispositions and lay a pretty dark egg, almost anywhere you get them from! (Ameraucana, Welsummer, Marans, Danish Brown Leghorn)
    [​IMG]

I only have Marans, Welsummers and Penedesencas that lay dark eggs. Hope that helps, let me know if you want to know more!

Tina

8. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    Nice pictures, puts the egg thing nicely.

9. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    I would just echo all the above with the exception of Barnevelders. They are a breed that I plan to get this year from a local breeder or two and after talking to many, I have come to the conclusion that the egg color of Barnie's has suffered quite a bit and it is too unpredictable as to what you'll wind up with from them.

God Bless,

10. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    What?!?! No one has mentioned the Black Langshan. A stately bird that is quick striking and they lay a dark brown egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by